Chapter 18: Tragedy Strikes Again

Hi everyone, I'm sorry that it has taken me a little while to update this book. I wasn't sure how I wanted to write this chapter. I hope that you ladies and gentlemen love reading this chapter. As always please vote and comment. Please stay safe until next time.

JJNiles...

Jae's POV...

McKenna's body seemed so small lying on the starch white hospital bed when I opened the door. I.V tubes were attached to her right arm while other hospital equipment was fastened around her left one. Her beautiful face was marred with scars on both sides and multiple bruises.

"Oh my goodness, how am I going to tell my wife that our child didn't make it? Came my next thought when my eyes traveled down her body as I stood at the door entrance. I wanted to walk back out of the room and I was about to until McKenna screamed out my name in a panic state.

I froze in place like a block of ice with my back to her because I didn't know what to do. I knew that she was trapped in her own mind waiting for me to come and rescue her. I want to run to her but my body wouldn't budge an inch.

"Jae, help me, please! She yelled in a desperate plea as her body began to convulse violently on the bed. "No, please don't hurt me! She began to beg someone in her nightmare. The heart monitor machine began to make a loud dinging noise causing my feet to finally propelled me forward. A sinking feeling that I was about to lose my soulmate began to settle around my heart, freezing it like a popsicle. Placing my hands on both sides of her face I say, "I'm right here honey," followed by kissing her softly on her bruised lips.

The moment she heard my voice her violent shaking movement slowed down enough for the doctor to administer her a sedative. Tears fell from my eyes onto her face after watching her chest heave up and down in slow motion on a white hospital bed.

I whispered, "I love you, McKenna," into her ear while rubbing the palm of her left hand in a circular motion. Her tiny hand twitched in mine as soon as I said those words. "All I want you to do is rest, honey. I promise you my face will be the first one that you will see when you are ready to come back to me!" I say sitting down on a soft cushion rolling chair that one of the female nurses had brought in to me.

"I'm so sorry baby for not being around to protect you and our child," I mumble mostly to myself because I didn't want to trigger her into another violent convulsion. Mr. Yung, can I speak to you for a minute? Dr. Luker asked me in an anxious tone.

With dread flowing through my weary bones I began to walk away from the bed until McKenna's grip on my hands tightened around mine. This small little action stops me dead in my tracks. Bending over to the bed I kissed her on the forehead before saying, "sweetheart I'm only going to be a few feet away from you. I promise you that I won't leave your side! Instantly the grip that she had on my hands loosened after I placed a small kiss on the back of hers.

"Okay, what do you want to talk to me about Dr. Luker? I asked bracing myself for some more bad news.

"I hate to be the bearer of more bad news but your wife's chances of ever having another child are almost slim to none," Dr. Luker says in a grim voice.

"Why is that? I asked as calmly as I could. I didn't want to take any chances of McKenna hearing how hurt and angry I was from hearing that bit of news.

"The stab wound that she received in her stomach has caused some major damage to her uterus," Dr. Lucas says with a simple explanation. "I'm not saying that it's impossible but you should also know that if she does by chance become pregnant there could be some major complications. You could risk losing her, the baby, or both. I want you to think long and hard about whether not you want to put your wife and yourself through this painful ordeal again, son." Dr. Luker finishes saying then pats me on my back and walks out of the room.

My already broken heart has now shattered into tiny pieces that could never be mended back together again. The woman that I love beyond measures would never be able to carry my child inside of her without possibly putting her life in jeopardy. I would never know how it would feel to have a son or daughter by my beautiful wife to call me daddy. I wanted to take dozens of pictures of McKenna holding our child in her arms right after giving birth.

I wanted to hear the cheerful laughter that my two princesses were sure to have after meeting their new baby brother or sister. McKenna and I will never hear our child first cry after him or her enters this world, see him or her take their first step or start their first day of school. Don't get me wrong I love both Hannah and Raleigh like they were my very own flesh-n-blood but I would be lying if I said that I wasn't looking forward to having a little mini-me rounding around the house calling out to me.

I know that the doc said that McKenna could have a child of mine, I just wasn't willing to take a chance of losing my wife just for my selfish pleasure. My love for my wife has long since exceeded what we have lost.

Walking back over to the bed I cupped her face in the palm of my hands once again and kissed her gently on the lips. Emotions of joyfulness of me still having my beautiful wife and the heart-wrenching pain of losing our child mingled together inside of me caused tears to pour from my eyes and drip onto McKenna's face.

"I'm so sorry McKenna... I'm so, so sorry sweetheart for not being around when you needed me the most. Please don't leave me, baby! I pleaded earnestly with my head still propped against hers.

"Jae I love you! I hear her utter in a weak barely audible voice.

"I love you, McKenna, more than my own life," I replied while staring into her half-opened eyes.

"Please don't cry, Jae. I'm sure that we will get through whatever has caused you to feel this much pain, together! I heard her force out of her mouth right before the machines around her began to go haywire.

"Mr. Yung we need you to leave the room now! Dr. Luker and a few nurses say while trying their best to pry me away from the bed.

"Come on Jae let the doctors do their job! Caleb demands in a commanding voice.

"No Caleb, I will not leave my wife side again. I've already lost so much and I'm not willing to stand idly by and allow her to leave me too! I shout while pushing against his chest with brute force.

"If you don't get out of the way and let them do their job then you losing McKenna may very well become a reality," Raegan screams at me, making me understand that I was hindering McKenna's chances of survival.

I love you very much, McKenna! I say once again before walking out of the room wondering if this will be the last time I will hear her lovely voice ever again.