Chapter 27 - Revelations

'DEATH EATERS FOUND FAKING THEIR OWN DEATHS'

Latest Auror Office investigation reveals the staging of the deaths of several witches and wizards recently caught. It is presumed this wasn't the only group of dark wizards performing it.

'We'd had our suspicions for years now. This investigation has permitted us to begin a commission to hunt more of them along with Hitwizards. They're normally under the effects of Polyjuice Potion or some kind of spell to deter suspicions, which makes the job even harder.' stated noteworthy Auror, Rufus Scrimgeour. He also noted the possibilities of the closeness of the community with these witches and wizards, as it could be used as another way to leak information.

Juniper covered her face with both hands, trying to not seem too distressed. In between her fingers, she read the headline again.

"Want us to bring you something from Hogsmeade tomorrow?" asked Judson after clearing his throat.

"I'm good, cheers," she said selflessly, concentrating on the first few paragraphs of the article. Maverick and Judson exchanged glances.

"Where are you going?" Maverick asked moments later, as Juniper was getting up from the table without haven't eaten anything, her eyes still glued to the paper.

"Nowhere."

"Then why don't you stay with us today?" he suggested, side-glancing at Judson, who nodded in agreement. "The three of us got a free period this morning."

Juniper held her breath as her eyes fidgeted between them both. "Oh—yeah okay, sure," she stammered, rolling the paper in her hand, "what are we doing?"

"Great! Exploding Snap in our dorm?" said Maverick, a big smile on his face. Juniper nodded quickly, and gulping, she sat back down, pushing the newspaper to the bottom of her satchel without having finished reading it.

Until they got back to the Ravenclaw Tower, Juniper dedicated herself to just listening. Judson and Maverick's banter made her want to join, but if she did speak, she was sure her trembling voice would expose her. Besides, she had no idea how to join without making a fool of herself.

Juniper realized it was actually the first time she had entered their dorm in that year, of what commonly used to be at least twice a week to chat, gossip, and be drawn by Maverick. She sat down on Judson's bed, her chest starting to hurt. Unintentionally, she was becoming an outsider in her own circle.

But she pushed the thought away, just like everything else, and forced a relaxed posture and a smile. Maverick summoned the deck of cards and discussed which method they should play first. Juniper let them decide.

Shoving away the headline was harder than Juniper had expected. She often missed her turn because of the big black letters projecting in her mind. Her legs couldn't stop shaking.

"You can go if you want," surrendered Maverick, throwing his cards to the air behind him, which exploded midway up. "If you don't want to be here that's fine."

"What? No." Juniper's heart throbbed faster. She took her wand and drew Maverick's cards back to his hands. "I'm staying. I just didn't sleep really well last night."

"You don't have to lie," said Judson, dropping his cards on the floor. "Listen, we know the matter with your mum and your family must be hard, so if you want to be alone, it's alright with us. Just catch up at least once a week, will you?"

Juniper nodded in the middle of a nervous laugh, kneading her chest above her heart. "Okay. Sorry."

"Where do you go? When you're by yourself."