Chap 17: Mutually Exclusive

Kelsey's POV:

"So, I've been noticing you've been a bit distant with me recently... I was just wondering if I did anything wrong?" I started off.

"There's nothing wrong at all. I swear Kels!" Dean exclaimed.

"Are you sure Dean? You know you can be honest with me." I questioned.

"I'm sure sweetheart." He replied shortly.

"Well, I kind of feel like you've been avoiding me ever since our date on the beach." I confessed as he looked at me.

"I wouldn't say I was necessarily avoiding you, but I did actually want to give you some space." He responded.

"Okay, but why?" I asked confused.

"I know we both said we still loved each other, but I didn't want to rush you into getting back together right away. I wanted to give you some time and space to gather your thoughts to make your ultimate decision." He explained.

"I sort of had a feeling that was the reason why you've been MIA. I was talking to Alexa about it and she thought you were giving me some space to think as well." I said.

"I was also giving myself some time. I was kind of worried you'd wake up the next day and decide that you were over what we had. I'm just afraid of it all really." He confessed to me as he grabbed my hands.

"Honestly, I'm worried too. I'm scared that if we get back together and things go wrong again, then that's it. There will be no chance at getting back together because one of us messed up another time. I'm honestly afraid too Dean." I said as he caressed my hand.

"Where do we take it from here then?" Dean questioned.

"Like we've said before, I still don't think we should rush into all the titles and stuff. I say we take it slow and just be mutually exclusive with each other? I can only see you and you can only see me. I mean there's no one else I would want, but you get what I mean." I answered him.

"That's fine by me. I wouldn't want to rush into anything and then have us both regret it later. We both wouldn't want that to be the case." He replied.

"Taking it slow will be fine, I'm sure of it! It gives us time to think more and just see how each day goes. I hope you know this doesn't change the fact that I'm still in love with you." I told him as he laughed.

"And I hope you know that I'm in love with you too Kelsey, always will be." He said as he kissed me.

"Well that's good to hear. This is a new start for the both of us." I told him.

"I'm all yours sweetheart. I'm not fucking up my second chance with you Kels, you are mine and I'd like to keep it that way for the rest of my life." He stated as he hugged me.

"I'd prefer it that way too Dean. Regardless of what happened in the past and how our relationship ended the first time, I've always been happy with you. We've both made our fair share of mistakes here and there, but it has always led us back to each other in the end." I said.

"I know you've forgiven me, but it still lingers in my head that I even did something to hurt you. Even if I was drunk, I shouldn't have done what I did. I would take it back in a heartbeat if it meant I wouldn't have hurt you in the process. I swear on my life sweetheart." He proclaimed.

"I know Dean, I know. I've forgiven you a long time ago and you know that. Obviously it's become something that I'm afraid would happen to me again, but I think I know that it won't happen again. I love you Dean and I've given you another chance to prove that you truly love me. I know you won't do it again..." I responded as we hugged.

"Thank you for doing that. You didn't have to... You could've moved on and lived a life with someone who could give you the world. Instead, you ended back with someone like me, someone capable of hurting the one he loves. I don't understand..." He said as he trailed off.

"It was a mistake and a moment of weakness Dean. That doesn't mean you're a terrible person who likes hurting others. You're the sweetest person I know, so please stop beating yourself up about what happened. We've gotten over that hurdle in our relationship and it's only made us stronger. You're the one I want no matter what." I assured him as we hugged.

"I love you Kels, I'm not letting you go again." He said as I tightened my hug on him.

"I'm not going anywhere Dean. I love you too, always." I responded as he ruffled my hair.

I think being mutually exclusive with no titles to define our relationship is kind of scary, but rushing into a relationship is even scarier.

We aren't ready to be in one right now because we still have so much to work on with each other, but I'm glad that we have a mutual understanding on the current standing of our relationship.

Dean and I always had no issue understanding each other because we're both so similar in so many ways. We both value communication and always hear each other out no matter what. He can read me like an open book and vice versa.

I'm excited to see how our relationship grows and prospers as time goes by. We're both more grown up now and I'm 100% sure that things are going to be different this time around. What happened in the past is going to stay in the past.

We just have to see how it all goes here on out.

•••

hi hi! i finally updated this book after so so long ahh!! the updates have been so slow, i'm so sorry about that. writers block, school, and just life itself have been occupying all of my time! life has just been a rollercoaster for me and sometimes i'm just so overwhelmed with it all.

as always, i am trying my absolute best to update all my books whenever i have the time, so please bare with me!!! don't worry, i haven't given up on these books hahah!!

for those that still read, thank you so much for the support!! i truly appreciate it!

as a reminder, please remember to vote comment and follow me if you like my books! i would love to see feedback and support would be absolutely amazing!

thank you all once again and see you all soon!! toodles <3