Chapter 31: Don't leave me

"Frodo has passed beyond my sight." Said Gandalf. They had all gathered in the main hall of Minas Tirith. Nestarel had sat on one of the chairs and Legolas had stood beside her with one of his hands on her shoulder. She had insisted on coming to the meeting much to Legolas' displease.

Gimli, Aragorn, Eomer, and Earl Imrahil, the lord of Dol Amroth were in the hall too. "The darkness is deepening." Said Gandalf and looked at them all.

"If Sauron gains the Ring, we will know it." said Aragorn.

"It's only a matter of time. He has suffered a defeat, yes but behind the walls of Mordor, our enemy is regrouping." Said Gandalf.

"Let him stay there. Let him rot! Why should we care?" said Gimli who had seated on the throne of steward of Gondor.

"Because 10,000 Orcs now stand between Frodo and Mount Doom." Said Nestarel.

"I've sent him to his death." Said Gandalf desperately.

"No." said Aragorn thoughtfully and turned to Gandalf. "There is still hope for Frodo. He needs time and safe passage across the plains of Gorgoroth. We can give him that."

"How?" asked Eomer.

"Draw out Sauron's armies. Empty his lands. Then we gather our full strength and march on the Black Gate."

"We cannot achieve victory through strength of arms." said Nestarel worried.

"Not for ourselves." Said Aragorn and looked at all of them. "But we can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron's Eye fixed upon us. Keep him blind to all else that moves."

"A diversion." Said Legolas and Aragorn nodded.

"Certainty of death, small chance of success. what are we waiting for?" said Gimli.

"Sauron will suspect a trap. He will not take the bait. He is so clever." Said Gandalf.

"Oh, I think he will. He will not suffer the challenge of the heir of Isildur." Said Aragorn and something glimmered in his eyes. Nestarel could see the pride of Númenor in his eyes. She saw his plan. He had planned to challenge Sauron with the Palantir. She looked at him with concern. She was worried for all of them, more for her husband. She tuned out the voices.

The plan that they had would lead all of them to death and there was no way that she could stop Legolas from going and now she couldn't go with him. She felt nausea all of a sudden and stood up. Suddenly the throne hall became suffocating.

"Nestarel!" called Legolas. "You fine?"

Nestarel nodded. "I'm going to the healing rooms." she said quietly and walked out of the hall quickly. 

Her mind was killing her with bad images and thoughts. For once she was wishing Gandalf had not found out about her pregnancy so she could have gone with them, but then again what about her child? What was going to happen for Legolas? He was a good warrior but against so many ruthless Orcs? What were his chances?

Nestarel was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't find out that she was in the healing rooms. Her eyes fell on an open wound on a man's side which a healer was bandaging for him. A rush of nausea hit her hard and she put on a hand on her mouth and ran out of the room. Someone called her but she didn't stop.

She ran and find the closest bathroom and threw herself in and threw up her guts. Someone grabbed her hair and rubbed her back soothingly while she emptied her breakfast. When there was nothing more in her stomach, she took deep breathes trying to calm herself down.

"You should not come to healing rooms when you don't feel fine, my lady." Loreth voice was soft and caring as she helped Nestarel to stand on her shaky legs and let her outside and to a garden. They sat on a bench and Loreth offered her a flask. "Drink. It will help you with nausea." she said and Nestarel took the flask gratefully and drank the sweet drink. "I know nothing about the pregnancy of the Elves, but If you are like we humans, then you will be more emotional and more sensitive towards smells and tastes."