Chapter 5: A truth and a confession

Nestarel and Legolas had sat in Elrond's study. Gandalf and Elrond had seated in front of them. "What do you want to ask?" asked Elrond and gazed at their anxious faces. "Although I can see the reason in your eyes." he said and leaned on the back seat.

Legolas glanced at Nestarel and then turned to Elrond. "My lord, this morning you asked Nestarel about her scar." started Legolas. "You asked odd questions like you know something about her that we don't know." said Legolas and then paused for a second. "Is there something wrong about her?" he asked.

Elrond stood and walked a little away with his hands folded on his back. "I know nothing for certain."

Nestarel gasped. So there was something. Legolas took her hand, but his own hand was trembling a little. "And what is that? Please tell us what you know." he said.

Elrond returned and sat on the chair with a sigh and then covered his face with his hand and massaged his forehead. "I was the one who healed your wound, Nestarel. Gandalf and King Thranduil were there with me. The wound was so deep and you were bleeding so much. The blade had passed through your body and had come out from your back. We had almost lost you." said Elrond. Legolas's free hand curled into a ball. The memory of those horrible days was still hunting him in his dreams. "The wound wouldn't heal. It seemed the blade which you've been stabbed with was poisonous."

Legolas turned sharply and Nestarel's eyes grew wide. This was new for both of them. "What are you talking about, my lord? What poison?" said Legolas, trembling obviously.

"We don't know for certain." answered Gandalf and leaned forward. "It was unfamiliar for us. None of us had seen anything like that. Nestarel had a high fever and her bleeding wouldn't stop. We used Athelas and it seemed that it neutralized the effect of the poison, for her bleeding decreased and it finally stopped after three days."

"So what's wrong? Her body has been gotten clean of the poison, for she has healed." said Legolas.

"But was it really a posion?" said Elrond and then stood and walked to the window and peered outside. "What do you mean, my lord?" said Nestarel with a choked voice.

Elrond turned to her. Doubt was evident in his eyes. "I was worried about you, so I kept you under my watch. That was why I asked you to come and stay in Imladris for years. The poison seemed strong but It easily was washed away from your body with only Athelas. You seemed fine for hundred of years so I put aside my assumptions and worries until what happened last night when you touched Frodo's wound and this morning when you told me things that made me doubtful again. You said your scar is painfull again in the past 60 years ago and you think it is only because of the news that you are hearing." he said.

"What else could be the reason of it?" asked Legolas.

"Black spell." answered Gandalf seriously. Silence fell on the room for a moment. Nestarel and Legolas were silently looking From Gandalf to Elrond. Nestarel had almost fainted.

"Black spell?" asked Legolas quietly. Elrond nodded. "Yes. I believe that the witch-king had set a dark ancient spell on his blade. Whoever got stabbed by the blade would be enchanted by the dark power of the owner of the spell who is, in this case, the witch-king. The spell depends on the power of its owner. As much as the witch-king become stronger under the shadow of Sauron and as much as Nestarel gets close to him, the spell will take more power." explained Elrond.

"And what will happen then? If I get too close." asked Nestarel with a voice that was hardly audible.

"What happened last night was the lower level of what can happen." answered Elrond. "If he gets more power and you get too close to him, you will probably die."