Chapter 18 (Sweet Harmony)

Today was Rem's last day of detention, she was now free from her punishment and could rejoin Subaru walking home. Some time during the day Rem felt her throat grow slightly sore. It wasn't too noticeable, but it was irritating enough for Rem to notice throughout the entire day.

After her last detention session Rem walked home, her throat had yet to return to normal. In fact it was growing slightly worse with every hour or two.

She returned to the apartment and pulled out her key to open the door. She entered the living room and Subaru looked up at her from the couch.

"Welcome home Rem, have you learned your lesson about fighting people in school?" Subaru asked with a slight smirk.

"Not funny Subaru" Rem said in a cold tone, holding a blank look.

"I'm just joking with you," Subaru said.

Rem was very exhausted and wanted to have a quick nap, hopefully it would heal the growing pain in her throat. She placed her heavy bag down on the floor, and walked over to sit on the couch next to Subaru. She gently leaned her head on his arm and closed her eyes.

Subaru brushed her hair with his hand, letting her have a quick nap. He continued to watch TV as Rem drifted off. Somehow Rem being tired made him feel tired. It was as if she was slowly draining all his energy by simply leaning on his arm.

As time went on Subarus' eyelids began getting heavy, he tried everything he could not to succumb to his growing tiredness. Suddenly he felt Rem push her entire body weight on his arm as she became limp from drifting off to sleep.

About an hour passed and Subaru just had to get something to eat, he was starving. His parents weren't home and Rem was fast asleep, leaving no one to cook dinner. Though Subaru could still make himself something from what they had in the kitchen.

Carefully laying Rem down on the couch, he got up and made his way to the kitchen to make himself a quick sandwich. It was by no means a glamorous feast, but it would do.

After making himself his dinner for the night he sat back down on the couch next to Rem and sat around, watching the time go by. He began to multitask watching TV, and reading stuff out of his math textbook.

Rem and Subaru had a big test coming up and Subaru made a promise to Rem he would put full effort into getting a really high mark. He sat there reading for a while, until the time came for him and Rem to check into bed for the night.

He shook Rem's shoulder to try and wake her, so she could bring herself to bed, but she didn't wake up. Subaru instead just picked her up, and brought her there himself.

Walking into the bedroom, he carefully placed her down on her side of the bed. Next he walked back out of his room to turn the apartment's lights off, on his way out he closed the bedroom door. The sound of the door closing actually made Rem wake up.

Rem's eyes slowly opened, she immediately felt her sore throat that grew much worse in her sleep. Her throat was so sore, she felt like talking would unleash the worst amount of pain imaginable.

She knew she still needed to change out her school uniform and into proper sleeping attire. Rem mustard up what energy she had left and got out of bed and walked towards the dresser.

Subaru suddenly walked back in and noticed that Rem woke up and stood up to go through the dresser. She looked very tired, but he already knew she had a long day, and needed some proper sleep.

"You still tired Rem?" Subaru asked as he laid in bed. He reached back for his science textbook he would read over every night trying to get familiar with the difficult and sometimes only in Subarus case needlessly complex units they were on.