Chapter 5

"Raavi... Iska matlab..." Dhara stared at the tests in her hands.

"Congratulations hone waale mummy papa!" Raavi beamed, as Gaumbi pulled her in for a hug.

"Thank you, Raavi! Thank you bhi kam padega tere liye" He had tears in his eyes from the envelope of happiness that surrounded them.

"Raavi, mere bacche..." Dhara cried and hugged her, as Raavi smiled and shushed her. "Aaj se, tu jo maangegi, jab bhi maangegi, sab tujhe mai laake dungi. Ab toh tera pura khayal rakhna hai mujhe!"

Raavi giggled and nodded, as the happy couple pulled her out into the aangan to share the news with the rest of the family.

In 5 seconds, everyone was shrieking and yelling in happiness, hugging Raavi and talking over each other. She couldn't understand a word anyone said, and it made her laugh.

"Aye Raavi! Idhar aa, teri nazar utarne de mujhe." Suman beamed, as Raavi sat down on the cot in front of her.

She brought out the salt and mirchi, and warded off all evil. Suman was ecstatic. Her first grandchild. She didn't want anything to go wrong.

Everyone fretted around Raavi, feeding her dahi shakkar, sweets, there was definitely some crying while they all hugged each other.

And Shiva just crossed his arms and leaned against the wall, thinking one thing:

She deserves all the love.

...

Month 2

The following days included a lot of events, including but not limited to:

-Lots and lots of throwing up
-Very specific food choices
-Irritation of not being able to sleep on her stomach, leading to sleepless nights

And most importantly,

-Throwing things at Shiva's head out of anger.

Raavi tried her best not to bother everyone with her moodswings, but sometime it would just get out of hand. Some days she'd be irritated, other days she'd bawl her eyes out, and most of the time she'd be so confused about what she wanted.

But everything was worth the wait, during the first sonography.

Raavi felt a bit uncomfortable when the wand was inserted, what with her muscles being stretched like that. The doctor wouldn't allow anyone in the main room during her sonography, except her husband, who was currently busy handling the store in Gautam's absence.

She really wished he was here. Why? Why do I want him to be with me this desperately?

Lub-dub. Lub-dub. Lub-dub.

Never in her wildest dreams did Raavi ever imagine getting emotional over a sound so simple.

"That's the heartbeat, and there's the baby." The doctor pointed towards the tiny speck on the screen.

Her eyes welled up. She had promised herself not to get emotional but this was her first time. Baby's heartbeat. The little life inside her, on the screen like a weird tiny ball.

Did she just call the baby a weird tiny ball? What a dork she was.

Until she heard Dhara and Gautam happily talking on the other side of the screen.

Obviously it's not your baby. Warna Shiva nahi aata kya tere saath?

Why are you thinking about him so much? Chup ho jaa yaar.