Chapter 9: Slippery Slope

Megumi POV:

TIME SKIP

One week later, 9 pm

Laying in bed, listening to Y/N's voice, and her soft giggles through the phone instantly took the edge off my stress after a busy day.

"The meetup with your dad went better than I expected. I was expecting he might not approve of me." I told her.

"See, I told you so. He may seem closed-off at first, but he's actually really nice" said Y/N.

"I'm glad. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my chest" I said, smiling.

Y/N let out her cute, iconic giggle like she always does. And I couldn't get enough of it.

"Megumi, I'm getting sleepy. I'll talk to you tomorrow, okay? I love you. Nighty night" said Y/N with a smoky voice, letting out a huge yawn.

"I love you too, Y/N. Sweet dreams" I said and we ended the call.

Everything went quiet, too quiet. Overwhelmed by the dreadful silence, my thoughts were spiraling again.

Why do I keep feeling like I'm a fraud? The demons in my head kept reminding me that I'm not good enough - that I'll never be good enough - that there's something inherently wrong with me - that I'm a no-good, despicable person - that I deserve nothing but the worst. It took so much in me to argue back at my intrusive thoughts, to remind myself that these thoughts aren't true. That Y/N loves me for who I truly am. And I love her. She's my everything. She's the one I'd cherish for eternity. And I'd do anything to keep her happy and safe.

Speaking of which, Y/N's birthday is coming up. I'm planning a surprise party for her. I'll invite Itadori, Gojo, Nobara and a few other classmates too.

A loud ping disrupted my train of thought - A text message, and it said "Hi Megumi, this is Nanami, Y/N's father. Are you free tomorrow morning? I have something important to talk to you about. Just you and me. And don't tell Y/N about this" Hmm... How did he get my number?

"Hi Nanami-san, sure. Where shall we meet?" I typed and hit "send".

Ping! He replied instantly.

"10 am, at the same cafe we met a week ago"

"Okay. See you then." I replied back.

I wonder... What does he want to talk about? Is he also planning a surprise for Y/N? I think I better not overthink this.

I grabbed my bottle of sleeping pills from my drawer and took my usual dosage whenever I get stressed out to put myself into a night of good sleep.

Megumi POV: Next morning:

I woke up to an unusually chilling, dark, and gloomy morning - clouds scattered over the dove-grey, sunless sky, content to drift where they fell. I got ready and arrived early, waiting restlessly in front of the same coffee shop. I could feel my heart pumping quickly as if it's going to burst forth from my ribcage. The uncertainty was killing me.

"Good morning, Megumi," A toneless voice said. It was Y/N's father, Nanami.

"Oh good morning, Nanami-san," I said.

We went inside, ordered drinks at the counter, and took a seat next to the glass window. He sat across me, peering at me with a tense, intimidating look on his face, and said "I'll just cut to the chase. So tell me, Megumi, is your father Fushiguro Toji?"

I felt my heart drop. My hand began to feel clammy, my chest growing so tight it became hard to breathe. How did he know?

"Ye- yes. He's my biological father. But I-"