11. BROTHER VS SISTER

I tried to be someone else
But nothing seemed to change
I know now,
this is who I really am inside
I've finally found myself
Fighting for a chance
I know now, this is who I really am
-The Kill by 30 Second to Mars

The plan was simple. Get to the Quinjet. Sophia stayed hidden in the hanger while Steve and Scott tried to talk to Tony. Sam and Bucky would go through the terminal to find the Quinjet. Wanda and Clint would be in the parking structure, waiting to go in. Sophia was supposed to get to the hanger and avoid the fight at all costs. Steve didn't want her to fight against her brother. They had no clue what Tony had in store for them as part of the "negotiations."

As Tony waited to see if he could find Cap, Natasha asked, "Tony, are you sure this is a good idea? She'll kill you if she figures it out."

"He's the only one who could possibly stop them."

Steve, in his uniform strides through an underpass, then jogs onto a private runway, heading for a grounded chopper. An electro-disabler slams onto the chopper and Steve looks up. Iron Man and War Machine decent.

"Wow, it's so weird how you run into people at the airport. Don't you think that's weird?" Tony deadpans.

"Definitely weird." Rhodey replied.

"Hear me out, Tony. That doctor, the psychiatrist, he's behind all of this. They have an ulterior motive. Please. This isn't about Bucky." Steve says

T'Challa leaps over a truck. "Captain."

"Your highness." Steve acknowledges with a small bow of his head.

Tony clears his throat to capture Steve's attention. "Anyway, Ross gave me 36 hours to bring you in. That was 24 hours ago. Can you help a brother out?"

"You're after the wrong guy."

"Your judgment is askew. Your old war buddy killed innocent people yesterday."

Steve argues back. "No, he didn't. The doctor is trying to get to five more super soldiers just like him. I can't let the doctor find them first, Tony. I can't."

Natasha appears from his left. "Steve . . . you know what's about to happen. Do you really wanna punch your way out of this one?" Steve didn't know how to answer her. Tony was done.

"All right, I've run out of patience. Underoos!" Peter shoots a web, stealing Steve's shield and binding his hands. "Nice job, kid."

"Thanks. Well, I could've stuck the landing a little better. It's just the new suit... Well, it's nothing, Mr. Stark. It's--it's perfect. Thank you." It takes everything in Peter not to call him Uncle Tony.

"Yeah, we don't really need to start a conversation."

Peter looks at his adopted father. It breaks him not to call him Pop. "Cap . . . Captain. Big fan, I'm Spider-Man."

"Yeah, we'll talk about it later. Just . . ." Tony tries to shut his nephew up before giving himself away.

Steve looks curiously at the new super. He has a feeling that he knows him but shoves the feeling aside. "You've been busy."

"And you've been a complete idiot. Dragging in Clint. 'Rescuing' Wanda from a place she doesn't even want to leave, a safe place. Convincing Sophia... I'm trying to keep . . . I'm trying to keep you from tearing the Avengers apart." Tony loses his composure slightly, remembering that his sister is no longer with him.

"You did that when you signed."

"Alright, we're done. You're gonna turn Barnes over, you're gonna come with us. NOW! Because it's us! Come on. For Sophia, please. We can fix this."