14. MISSING

I've been sitting here
Can't get you off my mind
I've tried my best to be a man and be strong
I've drove myself insane
Wishing I could touch your face
But the truth remains

-Gone by NSYNC

Steve groaned as he woke up on the floor. He sat up and looked around. He saw Tony was still down across from him with something shiny next to him. A sense of dread overcame him. No, he thought. No, it was a dream. He looked down and saw her ring next to him. No. It can't have happened. Steve got up and went to check on Tony. Tony moaned as he started to wake up. "Tony," he said, shaking him slightly.

"What the fuck do you want Rogers?" Tony's anger still coursing through him.

"Do you remember what happened?"

"No I..." Tony stopped. He sat up and looked around. "Where is she?"

Steve held up the necklace and the ring. He gave Tony the necklace and then raced out the chamber and up to where the Quinjet was still parked. "Sophia!" he called out. No one was there. He saw a note on the pilot seat.

Captain,

I've taken Sophia, Peter, and Bucky at her request. She asked not to disclose her location. I will reach out once they are settled. I'm sorry Steve. I think it's for the best for now. I promise to keep them safe. Hopefully you and Tony can work out your differences.

T'Challa

Tony had finally made it up to the jet where he found a broken Steve. Steve handed him the note. "She's gone. My family is gone."

Tony was shocked. He never, in a million years, would have thought she would leave him. "Cap I ..."

"Save it, Stark. You got what you wanted. You're right; I don't deserve her."

"I was angry. I'm sorry. Cap, she's the best thing for you. For each other."

"Yeah well, she's gone. She hates me now."

"We can fix this. I know we can. Let's get back and fix this."

"I'm a fugitive, Tony. Ross isn't going to let me just get back."

"Ross. That son of a bitch. I think I have enough intel to bring that asshole down. Steve." He touched the other man's arm. "We can fix this. We can show her that we've changed. Please help me get her back."

"We have a lot of talking to do," Steve said after a minute. "This whole mess needs to be cleaned up. We start talking now but we have to make a stop first."

In the air, Tony and Steve sat in uncomfortable silence. Steve was still reeling, unable to grasp that Sophia was gone. For the first time in two years, she wasn't by his side. "were you really going to take her away?"

Tony didn't move his eyes from the control panel. FRIDAY had taken over piloting but there was no location to take them to. "Yes, I was."

"OK." Steve fell silent again. In a day, he lost his entire team, his family, his best friend and his love.

"How long did you know?"

"Excuse me?" Steve was unsure of the question, but he had a guess.

"How long did you know? About my parents?" Tony still didn't look at Steve.

"Since the fall of SHIELD." Steve looked at the floor. "When I went looking for Bucky, we found some files about his missions as the Winter Soldier. I couldn't... I didn't..."