A New Presence in Me

Hanamizaka is the quietest suburb in Inazuma City, despite the outskirts being home to four illustrious businesses: Naganohara Fireworks (which for all its innocent dealing in fireworks actually played a significant role in resisting the Vision Hunt Decree), Kiminami Restaurant, Bantan Sango Detective Agency, and Yae Miko's very own Yae Publishing House. Now the area was about to get a fifth business, one owned by someone from distant Watatsumi Island. The new proprietor who'd purchased the empty lot near Bantan Sango Detective Agency had just seen off the builder, Yamazaki-san, who was giving her a final report.

"So, Sangonomiya -dono. I just need a few more days to fit in the wood floorboards, deliver you the shelves and other furniture, and then I guess you're just waiting for your business supplies from your end. That's where my work ends, and you can pay me the second half of our agreed fee," said the brawny gentleman, scratching his head in near-incredulity as he avoided Kokomi's friendly, trusting gaze. He could hardly believe his luck that Kokomi had contracted him to help her build her new business on the lot that she'd purchased with a loan from the Northland Bank (it was still a reliable financial institution throughout Teyvat, despite its ties to Snezhnaya). And to his even greater surprise, the Divine Priestess of Watatsumi Island seemed... unexpectedly nonchalant about the whole project, even though eyebrows were raised everywhere when she submitted her application permit: to build an "adult entertainment store."

No one in Inazuma had ever heard of this kind of business before, and humble builder Yamazaki was now privy to something that Kokomi planned to be a trendsetter in. For her part, Kokomi was completely cool and calm about her new initiative, bowing gratefully before Yamazaki. "The land is at peace, and only now have I been able to pursue my personal interest at last," she said, as Yamazaki urged her to raise herself back up. "The opening of this humble shop means a lot to me. I'm not even well-versed in the mercantile arts. I suspect I'll be asking Yoimiya-san for some advice. And who knows when I'll make a profit on this business, on top of the loan I've shouldered. But what matters is that I pursue my dream, now that I finally have a chance to live a life with my beloved."

"That's the way," cried Yamazaki proudly. "Well, then, Sangonomiya-dono, I'll leave you to enjoy the fruits of your new establishment. I'll come back tomorrow! Our contract isn't finished yet." He bowed and gathered his things, leaving Kokomi to look proudly at her sign, set to one side for now, that would soon be unveiled and affixed to the exterior of the second floor:

Watatslutty Toys. Bringing Pleasure and Fun to Discerning Inazumans.

"Mmm. This will look wonderful," said the leader of Watatsumi Island.

Kokomi surveyed with pride the interior of her new shop. There were no lights or lanterns, no fragrance to embellish the dusty air, and the floor was unadorned concrete, with no wooden floorboards. It was rather bare bones at the moment, and a bit dusty. But once the shelves were erected and the products arrayed, Kokomi would be ready to dim the room, burn some sensual interior fragrances, and bring about the finishing touch: an entrance that guaranteed complete privacy and discretion, with soft silken drapes welcoming customers into an entirely different world to the one outside.

A world of excitement, experimentation, and elation.

Kokomi slowly turned around as she heard footsteps. "Ah, Sara. You're here," she said cheerfully. I was getting worried that you might not be interested to give my new side hustle the time of day."

Resplendent in her tengu general's outfit, Sara looked down at the ground, pressing two fingers together. "Um... I am. Because you asked me to be. Not because I'm remotely interested in this," she lied, and it was such a big fat lie.

Kokomi raised an eyebrow. "Not even a little?"

Sara avoided Kokomi's gaze, though she continued talking. "I mean, seriously, my love – I know better than anyone else your... unusual appetites. But now you want to show it off to all Inazuma?"