chapter nine

MACKENZIE POV

"h-hello?" I grumbled, who is calling at 3:00am

"Mackenzie! it's mom." she sobbed

I got up and sat at the edge of the bed careful to not wake jack.
"mom? what's wrong?"

"Mackenzie , it's Brooke." she cried

"what!? what happened? is she okay? where are you?!"

"I'm at the children's hospital with dr ganaira."

"I'm on my way." I got up and threw on a pair and jacks sweats and a hoodie.

"babe what's wrong?" jack croaked getting out of bed and wrapping his arms around my waist

"I-I need to go jack, it's Brooke." I stumbled

he furrowed his eyebrows at me "who's Brooke?"

"my sister." I said wiping the tears that I hadn't even tried to fight.

"I'm coming with." he threw on a his clothes and we headed to the hospital.

_______________

"so do you wanna talk about this and tell me who Brooke is?" he asked hugging me tightly

"not really at the time jack."

"it's gonna be okay Mack, we don't even know what wrong."

"no jack! it's not okay! Brooke is probably dying right how for all I know!" I sobbed into his shoulder

we both fell silent and jack released me from his grip and locked my hands together. the elevator door opened and I was meet with my family sitting in the hallway. every head turned to see jack and I standing here cluelessly. they all looked so awful, all their eyes were red with tears and emotionless.

"mom? dad?" I said stepping into the hallway letting go of jack and leaving him standing awkwardly.

"Mackenzie." mom whispered hugging me tight as more tears fell freely onto her shoulder.

________________

my parents explained everything and how my mother found Brooke laying in the bathroom floor unable to move. she barely had a pulse and would choke as she tried to breathe.

"so we don't know what happened?"

"well the doctors think that the tumor may have started to reform." dad said holding my hand. just then a man in a long white coat stepped out of her room.

"Brooke had formed a new tumor in her spinal cord and we had to do immediate surgery."

"what? I thought she was free of any news rumors being able to form?" my mother sobbed

"I'm sorry mr. and mrs. luakhart(pronounced lock heart) but the tumor was placed on her spine and the surgery was very dangerous. she lost 1/4 of her blood and a disc in her spine was damaged. we tried our best to save her but all the damage and blood loss was too much. her brain went into shock and it stopped sending commands to breathe and soon her heart gave out do to lack of blood and oxygen. I'm sorry."

I pushed past all the people with jack running behind me as I ran towards the doors to the roof. I opened the door and the hot air blasted onto my face. cold tears streamed down my face and I came to a stop at the edge of the building. looking down at the city streets below. I had to, I needed to be with Brooke. I couldn't live without her, I'm nothing without her. I jumped a little when I felt a hand turn me around and I saw it was jack. he looked at me with pain in his eyes. I figured that my parents had probably told him everything with Brooke. a tear slipped from his eye and I wiped it away.

"what awe you doing Mackenzie."

"I can't do this jack. not with Brooke gone. I need to be with her, all I want is to see her again." I stepped onto the ledge on the building.

"no Mack! stop!" jack yelled attempting to grab me but I was too far.

I closed my eyes as I fell, cool air flew around me. the last thing I saw before everything was black was people on their phones leaning over me. they seemed to be speaking but I couldn't hear anything.

-

-

"MACK!"

"Mackenzie wake up!"

I suddenly woke up sweating and crying with jack shaking me lightly.

"Mack. stop what's wrong?" he hugged me tight and I couldn't manage to get any words.

"why. why jack? why is she gone? I don't deserve to be here." was all I managed to get out as I sobbed into his shoulder. jack never asked any questions but just sat with me in his arms, safely. I cried and cried until there were no longer any tears that could fall from my swollen eyes. after hours of sitting in the quiet with only the sound of my sniffs and jacks heartbeat in my ear I finally slowly drifted to sleep.

-------------------------------

okay... so you guys kinda get the gist of who Brooke is and what happened.
BUT I decided that I, going to change it so that it is that her sister died only 2 months before she met jack. sorry for the change.😁

||||||PLEASE READ|||||||

but really guys cancer sucks. you see that beautiful girl up there in the picture?
the girl, she's my real, Brooke. Brooke had brain cancer when she was 7 years old. she had a large tumor just above her spinal cord on the back of her neck/head area. luckily after a year of treatment at age 8 a few months after her birthday they safely removed her tumor, officially making her cancer free. she is 18 years old now and this year is her 10 year anniversary of being cancer free. she is so strong and loves life just as any other teenage girl. she is the best older sister a girl could ask for. I thank god everyday for saving her. I really don't know what I would do without her. cancer has taken a few things from her, she is unable to play fast paced sports because she can't track a fast moving object. she is a very good dancer but she struggles at time because the surgery effect her balance. cancer is an awful thing, but if we are strong we can beat it. please, I encourage you to donate money to the fundraisers that come to your door because you never who's life you could be saving, thank you.❤️
<><><><><><>
bk