Chapter 8

Clove POV:
I gotta be honest. I'm a little nervous. I mean, who wouldn't be? If the guys don't like me, then I wouldn't be able to hang out with the girls anymore. I can tell that the group comes as a packaged deal. It's all or nothing.
So as we're all crammed in Annie's car, I fiddle with the necklace around my neck. I got it from Dad as a present for my 14th birthday.

Flashback:
I looked to the door. It was my birthday, but Daddy wasn't here yet. He said he would be. I frown. I wanted him to be here.
"Clove, it's time for presents!" Mum calls.
I head over to where everyone was.
"Why the long face Clover?" Dally asks, noticing my frown.
"Dad isn't here yet." I simply state.
I see him and Mum share a look.
"Well, why don't you open this present first and I'm sure Dad will be here soon." My brother gestures to this huge box that's large enough to fit a human inside.
"No, I wanna wait for Dad. He said he would come." I tell him.
"But Clov-" he starts.
"No!" I interrupt, then drop my voice to a whisper. "He said he'd be here."
Dallas, seeing the tears in my eyes, softens. "Alright Clover, but I really think you'll like this surprise." He gestures to the box.
All of a sudden, weird noises start coming from it. Wide eyed, I carefully open it. I look inside and see a large figure pop out.
"Happy birthday Clover!"
I take a look at the man and see my dad grinning at me.
"Daddy!" I yell. Yes, I know it's childish that I still call my dad 'Daddy' at 14, but I miss him so much.
I hear choruses of 'Awwwww' all around us.
I turn to Dallas. "Why didn't you tell me?"
"It was supposed to be a surprise Clover" he replies.
I frown. "You know I don't like surprises."
"Aw, don't get mad at him Clover. I wanted to do this. Plus, you didn't think I'd actually forget my little girl's birthday, did you?" Dad smiles at me.
I giggle. "No, Dad. Of course not."
"That's my Clover." He puts an arm around me as I take a seat on the couch.
"Now, I have a present for you." Dad starts.
"Wait, I thought the box was the present." I say.
"No, that was just a fun way to surprise you. My real present is this." He takes out a necklace with tag at the bottom.
"This a replica of my tag from the military. It's also made to be a locket." Dad opens it using a small crevice in the necklace and shows me a picture inside. I smile. It's a picture of the both of us when I was around seven or eight. "Your mum tells me how much you miss me, so I'm giving this to you as a reminder that no matter where I am, I will always be with you."
I give him a huge hug. I know how much he hates being away from us.
"But what about Mum? Or Dally?" I ask. I now feel guilty for getting a special gift and not Mum, the love of his life.
"Don't worry about me, sis. I'll be getting my own tag when I join." Dally pipes in.
"And don't worry about me Clove, I'm sure your father will make it up to me some how." Mum tells me as my dad gives her a wink.
Gross. Dally and I share a disgusted look.
After Dad puts the necklace on me, I feel a sense of pride and happiness, knowing that he will always love me. From that day forward, I never took it off.

"Clove, Clove!" A voice brings me back to the present.
I stop playing with the tag and look at the voice's owner, Finch.
"Sorry, what?" I ask.
"We're here."
I step out of the car and join the girls waiting for me. I take a look at the bakery and suddenly I'm confused.
"Wait, Mellark Bakery?"
Everyone looks at me. "Yeah, why?" Annie asks.
"Mellark is the last name of the guy who Ubered me here from the airport." I explain.
"What's his name?" They question.
I think. "Um, I think it was Rye."
"Rye? As in Peeta's brother?" Johanna asks.
"Yeah, I think so. He said he is a junior." I answer.
"Huh, I didn't know he Ubers people." Katniss remarks.
I shrug.
Then I hear Annie say, "Huh, looks like the boys are already here." She points to a black Jeep.
"I bet they're inside already, eating all the cheese buns. Let's go." Katniss says.
Nervously, I trail behind them, hoping their friends would like me.