05. Not what I expected.

Kiara's POV:

"See? We lost this share too." I heard Mami say, as I was passing through their room last night.

"Share market hai, Vandhana. Loss/Profit chalta rehta hai." Mama argued.

"Tumhare isi attitude ki wajah se na, we've lost five lakhs in last one month." Five lakhs? And since when did Mama start investing money in share market?

"Vandhana, enough now. Go to sleep." Mama disregarded her blame. Honestly, I didn't mean to eavesdrop but their voices were really loud.

"Manoj, tum samajte kyu nahi? You've already lost your business, and I get that you used to invest money in share market once but ab woh zamana nahi raha, there are 100s of new companies coming up everyday. You'll need an expert advice, we can't keep losing money like this.." Mami argued back, her voice lowering at the end.

"Why can't you just ask your niece to marry Shubman? What is this '30 days to know him better' drama?"

What the hell? They got Shubman's alliance for me just because they needed money from him? And in exchange of what? Me? Their daughter? Oh, well, their niece actually. Cause they would never do this to their own daughter.

"Main keh deti hu Manoj, Kiara ki shaadi toh sirf Shubman se hi hogi." She said assertively.

"Not a word more, Vandhana. She is not my niece. I've raised her like my own daughter." Mama's voice raised too. "I'd promised her grandparents. Uski shaadi uski marzi se hogi."

"I can't compromise my dreams of a big house because of your stupid promise." She yelled back at him.

"Lower your voice, Vandhana. I don't want my daughters to listen to your rubbish." Mama warned her. I couldn't see his face but I knew the raging tone he used.

"Let them listen." Mami shouted back, equally high. "Kiara is not a kid anymore. It's high time she takes our responsibilities, the same way we took hers when she was small."

I couldn't utter a word, I couldn't think rationally, all I could think was, my grandmother's words: "people will use you to your exploit, if you are naïve."

I don't know if I was naïve enough to think of them as my real family or to think they care about me the same way they care about Aisha.

"Shut up! Just shut your pathetic mouth." He growled.

"Yeah, you'll ask me to keep my mouth shut because of that girl now?" She fired back.

"That girl is my niece. Damn it! You will never understand." I could hear him grow impatient, he was ready to end the discussion and go to sleep but Mami won't let him until she has proven her point.

"And I'm your wife, Manoj." Her voice started breaking. Why the hell is she crying now?

"It's always about you, na? First, your parents, then your sister and then your niece." She sobbed. "Your life revolves around them. And Aisha and I mean nothing to you, do we?"

"Vandhana, kahan ki baat, kahan le jaa rahi ho. You're my wife and Aisha is my daughter, why do you think I'm working so hard to earn money even after losing my business? It's because you could live your life the way you want." His tone wasn't convincing at all. If anything, it was angry.

"And why do you keep blaming Kiara, huh? Ever thought how it'd have been if our daughter was in her place?" Mama questioned her.

"Losing both the parents at such a tender age is not an easy thing." He said.