24. Feelings and deception.

So, I just wanted to clear some things out. Some of the comments in the last chapter read that it was confusing but guys Abhishek's character has always been shady in this book, right from the start when he appeared in a coat in a coffee shop, like how he'd not meet her eyes or change the topic when she started talking about anything serious. I hope all that makes sense now??

6 years earlier:

Shubman's POV:

"Shubi, hurry up. I swear if I get late, I'll kill you." My sister, Shahneel screams at me. She's a doctor now and I'm proud of her, but she keeps forgetting that I'm a grown up now.

I look at myself in the mirror one last time, before heading for the door. 

"Shubi kithon?" I hear my father ask my sister. (Where's Shubman?)

"Kanjra na marrya hoye tan maine maar dena." My sister grumbles. (If he hasn't died yet, I'll kill him.)

"Chalo hun." I say, interrupting their conversation. 

"Dulhan nu ena time nai lagda." (Even a bride doesn't take that long.)

"Shahneel." My father tries to stop her from grumbling.

"Traffic ton jaan jaani ay." She continues. (Traffic will cause problem too.)

"Tell me when you're done." I sit down on the sofa and my parents glare at me, cause they know I was just adding oil to fire. 

"You're horrible, you know that?" She asks, almost teary eyed. I get up and try to hug her but she backs off, dramatically.

"You desperately need a wife now to help you get punctual." She grumbles.

"Di, come on now." I put my arm around her shoulder. "Haji tan main 23 da hi aa." (I'm just 23.)

"Sahi ta keh rhi Shahneel." My mother says, shaking her head dramatically. My family is such a drama.

"Galat na sikhao mere puttar nu. Shubi, tu game te focus kar." My father pats me on the back. And the proud smile that makes its way on his face is all that I ever needed in life. To make my parents proud of me. I know there's still a long way to go for the kind of career I've chosen but at least my parents are happy with what I'm doing. And I'm content knowing that.

"Ji, Daddy." I nod at him.

"Drive."

"Front seat." My sister and I scream at the same time and then stick out our tongue at each other.

"Who even says you're a doctor? You're still a kid. A three year old." I tease her.

"Oh please, you're the younger one." She argues.

"Di, we'll reach in time, don't worry." I assure her and she smiles a knowing smile at me. "And you'll be off to your duty soon. Far far away from me." I smile cheekily at her and she rolls her eyes.