Starry Nights

"No I'm fine," Diane spoke, her voice cheery as she gazed at the stars above her.

She had found a hill not too far from the fire, a nice place to clear her head and look at the stars. The darkened sky stretched before her, blank and ever-lasting like an empty void; yet it was littered with blazing stars. A ton of stars. 

This parallel a lot with her mind.

Unlike the sky, Diane's mind was abuzz. Thoughts and fuzzy memories of her childhood had begun to blur with reality, creating an odd mixture of the past and present. In these she often saw a person she knew as Harlequin. Their face was always blurred beyond recognition, but she could remember feeling safe and content with him. She would always smell flowers and dew drops when he was around. Sorta like with King.

"Are you sure?" For once King didn't sound flustered or embarrassed. Instead concern had filled his voice as he lay beside the brunette, sneaking peeks as she gazed at the stars. Her purple eyes seemed to glow in their pale silvery light.

"Well yeah," Diane laughed a little. "I was just a bit pissed that no-one took my side with Ban, but that wasn't really why I went off."

A small silence settled between them. One stared at the stars, amethyst eyes focused on the lights of the dark sky; the other looked at her, wondering where he went wrong with her. How he managed to mess up the way they had worked before. 

But the answer to that was obvious: it was when he had wiped her memories of him. 

All those fun and comfy memories. Those unforgettable times he'd had with her gone - well for her not him. 

So now he was alone, solitary on knowing of their experiences.

And now King was here: a child again, confused and loathing himself for being so stupid. So reckless.

After all, that one decision changed his fate forever. Well his fate with Diane anyway...

"King?" He was snapped back to reality by the sound of her voice.

Diane nervously twirled her pigtails with her fingers. "Can I tell you a secret? But it has to be kept between us ok?"

"O-of course!" King reddened, his words full of sincerity as he regarded the brunette. If it was what he thought it was, then he'd definitely be elated. "I won't tell anyone I promise."

"Ok...but don't think I'm crazy or anything," Diane spoke her voice lowering. "...I'm pretty sure that I know you from before the Sins. From before we all grouped together."

King remained silent, his body tensing as he heard her words. His mind had gone blank, his eyes wide and expression masking guilt.

"I don't know why, but I keep getting odd memories that I thought never existed, but did," She continued to talk, her mind reeling as she recalled the distant memories. They were like fireflies, bright and enchanting yet small and hard to catch. "They're still a little fuzzy, but I know that the other person in them has to be you. It just has to be."

"I know that being kids again is weird and maybe I'm just imagining things," Diane laughed slightly, before smiling softly again. "But for some reason I feel safe around you..."

A small yawn escaped her lips as the giantess rested her head on King's shoulder. Her eyelids began to droop and her tone grew sleepy. "So, don't leave me alone until I figure this out. Ok Harlequin?"

And like that she fell asleep. The memories had melded into reality, her sleepiness taking over reasoning and logic. Diane's mind had shut off from what she'd just said and how it affected the boy beside her. Instead it focused on sleep and being near the person who made her feel safe and warm like in her memories.