Innocent Insolence (Extra Chapter)

Innocent Insolence

Tears of rage and frustration form as I march towards the room that Ludociel was known to frequent after meetings. 

After four years of serving my people, of healing the wounded and thinking that the demons were heartless and cruel monsters, I had found out the truth. I had uncovered the prejudice that my mother and others had formed to fuel this war, and have discovered that the demon race wasn't as heartless as all the other goddesses made them out to be.

It had taken years of careful movement. Years of patience and kindness. Years of sneaking out to heal those left in the aftermath. But now I knew the truth. The cold, hard, plain truth that had been buried for far too long due to misinformation and prejudice. The truth of the demon race not being animalistic and berserk beings who had no control over themselves. 

In fact I had been thanked and praised when they woke to see themselves fully healed. I had been heralded as a mystery maiden.

Although most were distant shouts, as I had taken off before I could be seen, I was sure that they were grateful. Happy. Indebted. I had years of experience to prove this.

But that didn't matter - no, not really. What mattered was that we could call off this war and negotiate with the demons to find some sort of balance. 

Surely since they aren't the cold monsters they're made out to be, we could make an arrangement? 

Perhaps even stop future wars from breaking out. We could have a future where there is no need for war. No need for conflict or bloodshed.

So why did everyone else tell me that I was deluded for believing in such a thing?

So many had laughed when I told them of what I'd witnessed. What I'd heard. In fact they labelled me as so innocent and pure that I was blind to the evil of the world. Blind to the things that stain and tarnish our otherwise perfect existence. 

I was simply seen as even more pure and kind than I should be. I was seen as someone who was so forgiving that I couldn't see the evil within anyone. That I couldn't even discern evil at all. I was simply the lovely and gracious Lady Elizabeth, an example of a goddess created so perfectly she saw no flaws in others.

As a result I chose to direct my appeal towards the leader of them all: Ludociel.

If I could get Ludociel to listen, then perhaps everyone else would too. I know that my mother would be harder to sway, but with Ludociel's logic and the people's belief on my side, I'm sure she'll come around to the truth. 

In fact I know she will. I just have to convince Ludociel to get closer to peace. He was the key to it all. I have to speak to Ludociel to get this whole thing started.

"Elizabeth wait!" Mael caught up with me, his expression weary as we passed through the corridors.

Mael was Ludociel's younger brother and we had formed a strong friendship as children. When we were younger, he was teased about being a coward who was incapable of killing an insect; but he had built upon it and was now one of the most powerful among us. 

However despite his duties, Mael had followed me all the way, as true a friend as ever, yet he also told me that my claims were a bit wild. In fact he was trying to persuade me from talking to his brother.

"I have to do this, Mael," I shake my head as I arrive at the room. 

Instead of knocking like I usually would, I throw the doors right open and approach Ludociel. He was looking out of a window, surveying what looked like the gardens surrounding the building. Flowers bloomed close to here, the sweet scent permeating the air from the window. 

"Ludociel you have to stop this!" Each step is a certain march, my voice raised. "Surely you'd listen to me!"

"Lady Elizabeth," He addresses me in a calm manner, cordial as always. "Mael. Now, what have you just barged into my office for? Has something happened?"

He loomed over the both of us, features as entitled and powerful as ever. Things like that were what I needed for my argument to be heard. For my digging to finally be seen as the real truth, and not the lies that were spread about the demon race. 

I go to move, but Mael beats me to it. He's always protecting me.

"No, I was just showing Elizabeth out - " His tone was a bit nervous, blocking the distance between myself and Ludociel, only for me to interrupt. 

I know he was trying to save me from a scolding, but I was going to get my opinion out this time. There was no way I was going to just sit by and watch this happen like I usually do. Like I always do.

This time I'll act and be the leader everyone sees me as.

"No, something has happened!" I dodge past Mael and look Ludociel right in the eye. He looks intrigued, curiosity and interest piqued as he witnesses my unusual behaviour. Behaviour I usually reserve for when there isn't an audience. 

Clasping my hands tightly together, I find myself nearly begging, pleading for someone to believe me. "You have to help me call off this war, Ludociel. The demon race aren't complete monsters and - "

"You must be confused, Lady Elizabeth," The Archangel shook his head, a simple frown on his features. He then looked down to inspect me, critical gaze seeming concerned as he scanned me. 

A hand brushed away my now grown out bangs, his thin brows furrowing even more at the skin below. "Perhaps you've injured yourself more than we thought," Ludociel then turns to Mael, a completely professional look on his face. "Please take Lady Elizabeth to be checked over. I believe she may be slightly confused from a sustained head injury."

The younger brother seemed a bit startled, and yet soon found himself back into a normal state. A rigid stance was taken and I knew that there was no reasoning with either due to my 'condition'. Ludociel was supreme after all, so Mael had no argument against it.

"I'll do it right away," Mael nodded and soon I was being dragged out of Ludociel's office, still ranting and raving about how the demon race weren't enemies. About how they were people and not the soulless things we were taught to believe them to be.

However it all fell upon deaf ears as I was dragged further and further away.

"Ludociel you have to believe me! Please!" Tears are running down my cheeks now, my face warm and reddened with effort as I see my dreams crumble to dust. As I can see my effort to stop this bloodshed merely becoming a flicker in the wind. A dying flame within an ocean of despair.

And the one solution to fix it was fading away, a smirk evident as he watched me disappear down the corridor. As he saw my form retreat.

"Such innocent insolence," Ludociel's voice echoed as I heard his office door close. "Such naive purity."