2: Changes

[1495 words]

“I’m sorry, kid, but I can’t simply say that you can become a hero without power...” Izuku closed his eyes. He knew it was coming, but it still stung to hear those words come out from his lifelong idol’s mouth. Despite the warm weather, the cold pricked Izuku’s skin, and he subconsciously rubbed his arms.

“I’m sorry.”

Izuku was sick of those—apologies. Did everyone assume that a simple ‘I’m sorry’ could mend everything? It was frustrating. Izuku’s fists clenched tighter, his nails digging into his palms.

When his head rose, he was disappointed to find All Might gone. He probably left as quickly as he could—like he hadn’t just crushed a child’s dream. No matter, it most likely occurred to him that he had more important things to tend to.

In spite of his ‘last life’, a tiny lingering bit of Izuku still aspired to become a hero... and maybe that was naive of him. He knew it was a ridiculous concept. It wasn’t like the Hero Public Safety Commission (HPSC) would accept a Quirkless into UA, or into any hero school in general.

A large explosion thundered from a distance, garnering Izuku’s attention. He whipped his head around, seeing wisps of smoke floating about. It was quite nearby. He furrowed his eyebrows, lips twisting into a frown. There it was: the scenario that he had been waiting for; why he had followed All Might to this particular rooftop on this godforsaken day.

In his last life, Izuku didn't bother helping Bakugo. Why would he? Bakugo had bullied him for his entire life. It was how Sensei had found him and introduced him to the League. It was the beginning of his being a villain—and a petty chess piece. Perhaps… this time, he should try helping him? What could happen, right?

Once he arrived on the scene, Izuku coughed at the amount of smoke that was circling the area. Flames blared from the crumbling buildings nearby, its orange and red hue adorning the usually azure sky with an admirable mixture. Izuku stared, entranced by their beauty.

He shook his head quickly. What the Hell was wrong with him? He wasn’t becoming an arsonist, was he? Izuku pushed that thought into the bottom of his mind. His face perfectly blank, he stared at Bakugo as he struggled to free himself.

Should he help him, or not?

Their sudden eye contact made Izuku flinch involuntarily. This didn’t happen in his life prior—maybe it was because he stayed longer? When their eyes met momentarily, Bakugo’s ruby pair looked like they were genuinely asking for help.

Izuku glanced around. There were some heroes on the scene. He recognised all of them: Backdraft, Kamui Woods, Mount Lady, Death Arms and a few other low-ranking heroes. They were just standing there, murmuring amongst themselves, complaining that they are unable to intervene since, “Our Quirks aren’t suited for this kind of situation!”

What kind of heroes were they? What kind of heroes would allow a child to die because of something as trivial as their Quirks not being suited to handle the situation? They should be trained for these types of predicaments. Heroes were so incapable. So unreliable. So… so

Useless.

Sighing exasperatedly, Izuku worked out a plan in his head. It was the first time he had used his brain for strategic planning since he had travelled back in time three months ago.

Strolling forward, Izuku allowed for his yellow bag’s strap to drop to his elbow, before slipping onto his hand. His fingers curled around the soft material as he runs into the scene. Various voices of heroes and civilians shouted at him, but he blocked them out.