27: Hero's Weakness

They were overwhelmed. Izuku knew that from the start, but at this point, they didn't even know what to do; what they could do. All Might's quick movements were preventing Kacchan and him from fleeing. They didn't have a plan—how were they supposed to fight back?

To make matters worse, Izuku and Kacchan had never fought together before. They had no experience in teamwork whatsoever, and with their past, it seemed even more difficult. Why did Izuku decide to fight All Might head-on? Did Kacchan inspire him to fight back instead of run away? Izuku had always picked the easier option, one that would minimalise casualties and injuries, and maximise safety.

Izuku dodged to the side as All Might attempted to grab him from the air. He swung his foot, aiming for All Might's head but his calf was caught. All Might's grip was tight as Izuku was thrown toward a building. He shifted to make his feet face the wall, crushing the concrete with his soles and propelling himself back toward All Might.

He unsheathed a blade from his thigh, but it was dull. It was the only weapon that had been approved, out of the many that Izuku had requested to have. It barely scratched the Number One Hero before he was once again flying across the city. His vision was becoming blurry, and he was once more reminded of the time he had died. He felt helpless. Was this really all he could do to All Might? How was he supposed to battle against All For One, then?

Izuku had been chasing a pipe dream since he was brought back to the past, but he had never really considered how unachievable it was until then. Fighting All Might had awoken him from the future that he had striven to pave. Winning against All For One felt less of an ambition and more of a dream...

...Just like his childhood dream of becoming a hero.

"Don't you dare fucking give up, Deku!"

Kacchan's voice brought him out of the pit of despair in his head. He could do nought but lift his head, his body far too battered and weakened to continue fighting. His back had crashed against a building, a spiderweb of cracks decorating its exterior. This situation was rather familiar... He remembered how futile his attempt was, to fight back against All For One in the past when he had killed his comrades. He was tossed around like a rag-doll, before eventually landing at the feet of his childhood friend.

A pair of legs stepped in front of Izuku, followed by the sound of crackling explosions. Izuku couldn't help his curiosity as he looked up, only for his eyes to widen as he witnessed Kacchan protecting him. All Might was further at the front, his feet crushing the concrete as he stepped closer. There was a menacing aura circling his presence.

"Isn't this... a familiar predicament, Kacchan?" He managed. Kacchan froze. He didn't turn behind, his eyes focused on their current enemy, but his mind seemed elsewhere. Izuku laid his head on the wall behind him, his eyes softening as he recalled his final moments. "You died too, didn't you? I can't imagine your survival in a war zone like that... Not to mention, he had his eyes on you because of our relationship.

"Were you afraid of dying? Probably, right? Especially by the hands of that man... and in the body of my brother, too." He didn't know what possessed him to start spouting bullshit, but it seemed that All Might had stopped his advance to listen in as well. He wouldn't understand anything, though. Other than himself, only Kacchan would be able to comprehend the words that left his mouth. "I'm hopeless and useless. I couldn't do anything then, and I can't do anything now either. I can't even avenge the people that were supposed to be my family because... I was scared. I still am. I didn't want anyone to get hurt, and I didn't want to hurt my brother. Isn't that... Aren't I pathetic?"

"Deku..." came Kacchan's mumble. It sounded breathless, yet restless. Kacchan probably didn't need to listen to Izuku's rambles at the moment. After all, they were in the middle of an exam and running out of time. He knew he should have kept his mouth shut, but... His thoughts and feelings had accumulated so much to the point that they were difficult to keep hidden.