6: Culpability

[2214 words]

"It's you!"

     Izuku turned behind him, seeing none other than Ochako Uraraka. She had the usual big smile on her face, as though he hadn't ruined her life in the previous timeline. Just looking at her made Izuku's breath tremble with regret.

     To his surprise, Uraraka grabbed his hands in hers and beamed an even greater grin. "I never got to thank you for saving my life. So, thank you!"

     Whispers and glances were given to them by their other classmates, most of them curious as to why Uraraka was thanking him… To be honest, Izuku didn't know the reason either…

     "Please, there is no need to thank me. Anyone in their right mind would've done the same," Izuku showed a brittle smile, "Besides, even if I hadn't stepped in, the teachers that were undoubtedly watching would've saved you in my stead."

     "Ooh, the way he talks makes me swoon!" Mina Ashido, Izuku recognised, literally swooned.

     "I'm sorry, is she… alright?" He furrowed his brows upward in worry. This wasn't the first time a woman had passed out because of him…

     Sensing someone behind him, Izuku cleared his mind and made his way to his seat (which happened to be right behind Kacchan). There could only be one person who was stealthy enough to get within ten metres of him, and that was…

     "Settle down, everyone. Our homeroom teacher has arrived," Izuku placed down his bag right by the tableside and nodded at the door. As if on cue, Eraserhead revealed himself and wriggled out from his… cocoon. Every student scrambled to their seat, their backs straightened with anticipation.

     "Thanks to your classmate, you guys only took three minutes to settle down… But if it weren't for him, I could've waited for six, or even eight minutes until someone noticed me." Eraserhead reached into his sleeping bag and pulled out a stack of UA gym uniforms. He placed it on the teacher's desk and turned to the class, narrowing his eyes threateningly. "Put these on and meet me at the PE grounds. I expect a shorter time."

     "Wait, what about orientation–"

     "Irrelevant," Eraserhead simply replied as he opened the door to the classroom.

     Once he left, the class remained drowned in silence. That was, until someone abruptly got up from her seat and rushed to the front of the class—"What are you guys waiting for?!" The invisible girl shouted frantically as she snatched a gym uniform and ran out of the classroom.

---

"Eraserhead…" They were alone at the moment. It would be the best time to say it. Izuku fiddled with the hem of his gym uniform, attempting to avoid eye contact with the hero.

    "Hm?" Unlike his expectations, Eraserhead replied with a light hum. "Don't call me by my hero name, Kid, we're in school."

     "Yes, of course…" Izuku angled his body to a perfect forty-five degree bow, "I just want to thank you, for helping me out on that day. And… I have a recommendation."

     "…A recommendation?" Eraserhead raised an eyebrow and folded his arms. Izuku's classmates will come out of the changing rooms anytime now, so he'd better make this quick.

     "I know you're curious about my past, but don't try to look into it," Izuku stood upright and smiled at his teacher, "You will only be wasting your time."

     Before Eraserhead could question him, his classmates started to trickle out from the changing rooms and form a crowd in front of him. Perfect timing.