NINE. mischief

— MISCHIEF
season one — episode four

— MISCHIEF season one — episode four

CHAPTER NINE

WHEN MINJUN, SEULGI, AND Sae-byeok made it back to the big room with beds, they immediately migrated back to their 'spot.'

      No one else had seemed to be interested in that spot at all, so it was pretty convenient for them. They could talk about stuff without worrying anyone would hear.

      "Thank you, Seulgi," Minjun spoke softly after a few moments of silence. "You saved our asses back there." She turned to him, giving him a tight, but warm, smile.

      "It's no problem. I'm just glad you guys are okay." They might've only just met, but it felt like they had known each other for months, maybe even years.

      Sae-byeok smiled at the girl as well, glad to have her on their side, but she wasn't going to say that. Not like she was prideful in working alone, she just didn't like speaking up.

      "We will now announce the results of the second game." The P.A. system crackled, causing Minjun to glance over at the large screen above the door. The numbers went from 187 to 108 in a matter of seconds.

      After that, the piggy bank above them was being filled with more money. Minjun swallowed thickly, the piggy bank was already more than halfway full.

      "7.9 billion won has been accumulated in this round. The prize money accumulated so far is 34.8 billion won." Minjun let out a breath.

      348 people had died already. It may seem like a lot, but it really wasn't. It was unlikely anybody would realize they were gone anyway. Besides their family, if they had any.

      "Your mealtime begins now. All players, please line up in the center." Something about eating right after a life or death situation was unsettling to Minjun. He had basically had a staring contest with a corpse and it was not at all pleasant.

      However, he just shook these feelings off and proceeded to get in line with the two other girls with him. When they had got to the front, he realized that they were only giving them a boiled egg and a soda. That was it. Nothing else.

      He raised an eyebrow, looking at the guard through the mask. Of course, he didn't realize he was staring at him dead in the eyes. He sighed before turning and walking off, his egg and soda in hand.

      He quickly ate, despite the sinking feeling that something was going to go wrong. It only took him about five minutes to finish everything. Seulgi and Sae-byeok stood with him in silence, both of them finishing the last of their soda.