27: A DREAM TO LIVE AND LOVE

Here we go!
Vote and comment please😘😘

Sheikh donned a plain nude marino wool kaftan, and with his silver Tyrwhitt cufflinks and cap nicely clipped and adjusted in place he was ready to go and shatter what was left of his heart.

He still couldn't believe he was attending Jannah's wedding. Even when he woke up this morning, he contemplated the whole idea.

When Dr. Khalifah had an invitation delivered to him last week, he assumed it was his way of saying "I won and you lost." So he tucked it away somewhere in between the hoard of his large books. But when the second IV came from Dr. Loka, he decided he would show up briefly for the sake of him, and then later learnt Alhaji Nadabo and Abba had been invited too.

His father was out of town, so he was going together with Alhaji Nadabo and Muhsin who wanted to go for moral, emotional and physical support in case Sheikh's heart gave up in the middle of the ceremony.

Sheikh was driving, he could feel his palms moistening in perspiration over the steering wheel. When they finally made it to the venue in one piece, he let out a quiet sigh.

Stepping out and walking into the teeming mosque, Sheikh instantly wished he didn't come. But he was already there. Too late for regrets.

They exchanged pleasantries with Abbiey and Dr. Loka who showed their genuine gratitude for them being there, before they all settled down. Sheikh's eyes slowly searched the hall for the groom but he was nowhere in sight.

After a few minutes, a man walked in and whispered to an elderly man beside Abbiey. The elderly man looked slightly displeased before he excused himself from the mosque.

Sheikh's phone vibrated in his breast pocket, distracting him from whatever was happening. He was shocked to hear Dr. Khalifah's voice when he picked.

"Sheikh, where are you?" His voice was filled with urgency.

It took everything in Sheikh to reserve his sarcasm, "At the venue."

"Okay, listen... I know this is not the right time but i need to discuss something with you, I can't come there, meet me outside Jannah's please."

"Hold on, is everything okay? Is she okay?" Sheikh couldn't hold down the panic in his voice. When Muhsin shot him a questioning look, he gave him a quick don't-worry wave.

"She's fine but I really need you here."

Sheikh stood to his feet, "I'm on my way."

Outside Jannah's, Dr. Khalifah looked as wired as he sounded. Sheikh was suddenly more anxious that he was when he woke up this morning. The thought of something happening to Jannah scared him out of his wits.

His tongue brushed his dry lips, "Why did you call me?"

"I know this is going to sound crazy, but i just had a talk with Jannah because i wanted to be sure I wasn't marrying someone that was in love with another man. And I found out she is, and that man is you, Sheikh. So i gave her the chance to choose and she did."

Dr. Khalifah didn't tell him who she chose, but the answer was too obvious. Sheikh pushed his glasses up, he wasn't letting himself believe any of this nonsense.

"Choose? Why on earth would you make her do that? People are waiting... this is your day... i can't for the life of me think of any reason you want to ruin it."

Dr. Khalifah looked down for a beat, "I just wanted to be fair to the three of us, especially her. And it doesn't matter that she made this decision at the last minute. I ruined this day alright, but it's worth it if that means saving her from long-term confusion and devastation."