EPILOGUE

SIX MONTHS LATER APRIL, 2016

SIX MONTHS LATER
APRIL, 2016.

It was Mamas and Alhaji Nadabo's 40th anniversary and their children decided to make the day extra special for them by throwing a surprise barbecue at home.

Yusra and Maryam were on the job of keeping their mother away from the house, Adda Maama promised to take care of the small chops, Jannah and Hanan, Muhsin's wife, were dealing with the decor out back. And the men were in charge of setting up the string lights and barbecue.

All hands on decks, everything successfully came together, Jannah couldn't help but admire the prettiness of the two low bohemian tables they set up, the white table spread and nut brown cushions combo gave the place a warm feel already. Hanan was a genius, being a wedding designer, she made it a cinch for them with her flair. 

When she looked over to the men at the grill, Sheikh caught her eyes and gave her a cheery wave behind the smoke. He stood tall and handsome in his pair of chinos and Polo Ralph Lauren shirt, a baseball cap slightly shielding his face.

Hanan nudged her covering her snicker with her palm, "This is like the sixth... no seventh wave he sent your way. Maybe i should swap positions with him and make him stop acting like he's thousands of miles away from you."

Jannah's eyes grew wide, "Hanan!" Then her face broke into a smirk, "Ah, look who is talking, you think i didn't notice the flying kiss from your M barely ten minutes ago? And the messages? Hm?"

Hanan's mouth rounded and they both laughed at their husbands' apparent obsession over them. "Anyway, Maryam's message just came in, they're on their way back with Mamas already. We should round off."

Jannah nodded and went ahead to perfect the set-up, while Hanan walked off to inform the rest. Twenty minutes later, Maryam and Yusra shepherded their parents into the backyard, their eyes covered with blindfolds.

When they took the blindfolds off for them, Mamas and Alhaji Nadabo stood there dumbfounded for a moment. Mamas' eyes glistened with joyful tears as she stared at her children, grandchildren and daughters in law and the way her back garden was transformed almost completely. She looked stunning in her black and lilac atamfa, a black veil draped over her body.

"Ehem.. i think this is where you hug her, Baba." Khaleel pointed out, which earned him a subtle glare from the elderly man.

"Hug, hug, hug." Everyone cheered until Alhaji Nadabo caved in to their wish and gathered her to his chest. He whispered into her ear which elicited a loud cheer from them. 

Jannah admired the couple, forty years together today and even though she had only known them for some months one thing she knew for sure there was constant love between them and their home, at her age Mamas still cooked for her husband everyday purely out of love not obligation.