The beginning of something

It took him two therapy sessions to get over that kiss, but maybe mostly his embarrassing break down in the arms of Harry Styles. His therapist ensured him that what he went through was perfectly normal but there was nothing normal about this situation. You weren't supposed to lose your fiance before your life together had merely started. Three years wasn't enough.

They continued to talk about their relationship in general, what he had loved about Ethan. He had never thought about it before but they hadn't had that much in common. That didn't matter. They loved each other.

He always felt lighter whenever he stepped out from a therapy session. He was glad that his mum pushed him to seek help. He had to call her tonight to tell her that but right now he really needed some coffee. He got in his car and parked outside the first coffee shop he could find.

He went inside and ordered a coffee and a pastry. A year ago he would never have been seen in a coffee shop by himself but now he kind of enjoyed this time by himself. He always sat by a window, watching people pass by. Wondering what kind of lives they were living? Making something up in his mind.

He looked around for a place to sit when he spotted someone familiar. He hesitated briefly before he walked up to him.
"Hi, Harry."

Harry looked up and a smile spread over his face, showing off his dimples. Louis grunted internally. Harry must be the most attractive guy he had ever laid eyes on. Stupid dimples. Stupid eyes. Stupid hair.
"Louis! How are you?"

"I'm okay. You?" Louis replied.

"I'm fine. Would you like to join me or are you here with someone?" Harry asked and looked past him.

"Uhm, it's just me. Are you sure? I don't want to bother you." Louis answered.

"No, bother. Please, take a seat." Harry said and gestured at the chair across the table.

Louis sat down and took a sip of his coffee. They were staring at each other, not knowing what to say.
"So..." Louis started off.

"So." Harry repeated.

"What was wrong with your heart?" Louis blurted out and blushed. That was none of his business.

"I was born with cardiomyopathy, which means that my heart had a hard time pumping my blood and I was facing heart failure. For the last two years, I've been short of breath constantly. Just walking up a couple of stairs was difficult. I was tired, no matter how much I slept and I lived under the constant fear of having a heart attack. My old heart was giving up and I'm so thankful Louis. I'm sorry that your boyfriend had to die for me to live but I will take care of his heart." Harry replied.

"Fiance." Louis corrected him in a whisper.

"Sorry?" Harry replied.

"Fiance. We were gonna get married." Louis answered, higher this time.

Harry's face dropped. He looked really sad.
"I'm so sorry for your loss."

"Thank you." Louis replied, swallowing down the lump in his throat.

They became silent again. They drank their coffee and stared out the window. A bald man in his sixties walked by with an umbrella under his arm even though there wasn't a hint of rain in the sky.
"Leonard, dentist. He lives alone with his cat. He's not the spontaneous type and he's always prepared for every occasion. Every year he goes on a cruise to the same place but he has a secret doll collection that he talks to." Louis said.

He turned his head to look at Harry who was staring at him in confusion.
"I like to make up stories about random strangers passing by. Imagining their lives." He explained.

Harry giggled and Louis's eyes grew wide from the sight. That was absolutely adorable.
"Alright, my turn then." Harry said and looked out the window.

Louis forced himself to do the same. He wasn't gonna ogle Harry like some creep. A woman in her forties walked by.
"Elisabeth, married to an accountant. She has been a housewife and stay-at-home mum but the kids are grown up now and have moved away. She and her husband Raul have just joined a swingers club to spark up their sex life." Harry said.

Louis burst out laughing and Harry looked at him and started smiling.
"Bad one, I'm not good at this."

"It was great! My turn." Louis giggled.

They continued to make up stories about the people passing by and they got crazier and crazier. Louis couldn't remember the last time he laughed this much. Their coffee was long gone when Harry glanced at the clock.
"I'm really sorry but I have to go."

Louie realized that two hours had passed since he stepped inside the coffee shop.
"Yeah, me too."

"I had...maybe we could do this again sometime?" Harry suggested.

LLouis'shead snapped up and their eyes met.
"I'm not asking you out on a date. I just thought...never mind. Bad idea." Harry said and blushed.

"A friendly coffee? Ehm, yeah. Okay. Why not?" Louis replied.

"Really? You don't have to. I understand if you don't want to get to know me." Harry answered.

"Just give me your phone and I'll put my number in. Okay?" Louis smiled.

Harry handed him his phone and Louis called himself so he would have Harry's number before he gave it back.
"Sunday?"

"Okay. I'll text you." Harry smiled. He waved goodbye and walked out of the coffee shop.

Louis watched him leave before he headed out to his car. He got in and saved Harry's number on his phone. He didn't know how he felt about this but Harry was a nice guy and they could be friends, right? He sighed and turned in the engine and drive home. He called his mum to check in. She sounded happy and told him about what was going on back home in Doncaster but Louis was distracted. He couldn't stop thinking about Harry.