Chapter 29 - Dying Is A Dirty Buisness.

The next day, I went over to Ron's house. I wanted to make sure Carl didn't, like, hurt him physically. I know Carl isn't that kind of person, but he could be if he wanted to.

I knocked 3 times before he answered. He came out looking pretty worried, but he softened after he realized it was just me.

"Hey," Ron said, smiling.

"Hey. So...what happened between you and Carl yesterday?" I asked, tilting my head a bit.

His face got all red and he lowered his voice and replied, "Maybe you should come inside."

I looked back at my house and thought what Carl would do if he came to check up on me and found me gone.

"I kinda don't have the time..just please tell me what happened," I whispered.

He sighed and said, "Nothing. Absolutely nothing. He just gave me a warning. 'Stop being interested in my girlfriend, dumbass.' That's it. I don't know why, but it confused me. You'd think he'd hit me, but he didn't. I guess he doesn't wanna hurt you. You have a good boyfriend."

"Yeah, you have a really good girlfriend, too."

Ron's cheeks turned red and mumbled, "We broke up."

"Oh..."

Why did Enid not tell me? No wonder she didn't come over yesterday. She's heart broken.

"I gotta go help my mom. I'll talk to you later...," he said, interrupting my thoughts and stepping back inside.

I turned around and walked down the steps of the porch. As I looked at my house, I saw Enid sitting on the steps of my porch.

"Enid?" I called out.

"I'm sorry I didn't come any sooner. I just found out today. I'm so sorry," she said, standing up and pulling me in for a hug.

"Why didn't you tell me about-"

I felt a sharp pain coming from my bite. Then, from my chest. And my heart. And everything was hurting. I collapsed to the ground, unable to breathe. I was shrieking and gasping for air, but my lungs wouldn't corporate. Enid kneeled down beside me and started screaming for help.

"I can't let another person die on me," she whispered, tears rolling down her face.

Carl, Rick, and the whole group ran out and noticed. Dying is a dirty business. Not only do you kill yourself, but you kill the people around you, too.

"Oh my god! Amelia!" Carl yelled and ran over, kneeling on the opposite side of Enid.

"Car-l," I forced out, "it's the infection."

Rick sighed and turned away. I could tell he was sad.

"Nononono." Carl undid the button of my arm on my plaid shirt, revealing the bite. Blood was oozing out of it.

"Am I dying?" I asked, stupidly.

"It's okay...it's okay...just look up at the sky. See that? That's the orange I like."

You could tell he was trying to be strong. But, in this case, he failed. He couldn't help the tears from spilling out.

"How am I going to live without you?" He asked, trying not to sob.

"Some people are just meant to teach you a lesson in life. I don't exactly know what I taught you, but..."

My breath was getting shorter and my vision was getting brighter.

"You taught me that there can be light, even in the darkest of times if one remembers to turn on the light," he said. "I love you.."

"I love you too," I whispered.

And I watched the orange sky as my vision was only white with a little bit of a color tint. I looked over at the love of my life and watched his broken blue eyes fade into the blankness.

Author's Note:
Be prepared for an epilogue. I'm really sad. There will be another Carl/Chandler FanFiction soon.

Xoxo,

Grace