Chapter 16 - Strong

I didn't know whether I should let this affect me or what. After about 3 seconds later, Rick started to walk away until Carl spoke up again.

"But dad...we're strong enough that we can still help people. And we can handle ourselves if things go wrong. And we're strong enough we don't have to be afraid and we don't have to hide."

I saw Rick nod a little bit. But he stayed silent. And even the silence was a bit deafening. My palms were sweating a little bit. I guess I was nervous about how he would respond. I hoped he would respond with an 'alright, fine. You can date her.' sort of thing.

But he didn't. He just left Carl to his beings and surroundings. I felt a tear rolling down my cheek and I quickly wiped it away. I don't let myself cry anymore. That's what Beth always used to say.

Beth.

I sat up not caring if Carl saw that it was awake anymore. What are we doing just sitting around? We need to find Beth. If she was even alive. No. She has to be alive.

Please be alive.

Carl didn't notice me. His head was still down, tilting his sheriff's hat a little bit in the pew. I quietly put on my shoes and snuck outside. I needed air. It was a bright, sunny morning. Maybe too bright for my taste right now.

Before the apocalypse, I loved the rainy weather. I just thought it was so peaceful. My dad and I would always sit out on our porch watching the raindrops fall off the roof, hitting the ground and seizing to exist.

Maybe it was good to cry. Maybe it was a good time. I'm alone. Well, I'm with my thoughts which never shut up.

So, that's what I did.

I sat down on an old picnic table a few feet away from the church and facing the woods, I cried. I didn't just cry about Carl. I cried about mom, dad, Emma, and everyone else that died.

Maybe Beth was wrong about not letting herself cry. Because, right now, it felt really good. Crying doesn't mean you're weak. It just simply means you've been strong for too long.

After looking at the woods with tears pouring down my face for what seemed like an hour, which really may have only been 10 minutes, I decided to go for a walk. I had everything I need. Well, only two things. My knife and my gun.

It's probably too soon to go for a stroll by myself, but I wanted some alone time. Some Amelia time. You know what I mean?

Plus if I did so happen to get bit, I survived one bite. Who says I can't survive another?

Then I realized.

Rick still doesn't know about my bite. He thinks I'm going to die. But I can't. Not unless someone murders me. My chances of getting killed are half as much as them. Rick won't let Carl and I be together because he thinks I'll die from infection.

I need to tell him.

Author's Note:

I know it kind of seems like Amelia is really desperate for Carl, I'm trying to fix that. I have a huge plot twist coming up and it will most likely fix it!😂😊 HAPPY TWD DAYYY!

Xoxo,

Grace