Chapter 6 - The Boy In The Sheriff's Hat

A few years later...

My name is Amelia Cinder. It's been 4 years in the apocalypse. I still haven't turned into one of those things. I'm 14. Elliot raped me. He traded Beth over to another group for supplies.

I still can't get over the boy in the sheriff's hat.

I won't get over the boy in the sheriff's hat.

"Why would you let him treat you like that?" The boy asked. He was my age. He saved my life, yet, I still didn't get his name.

"Doesn't look like I have much of a choice. He killed his own father. I saw him do it. Didn't look like much of a struggle for him; wouldn't have any problem murdering me," I replied.

I look at the boy's eyes. They were crystal blue, the kind you can stare at all day. He stared back at me and then slowly looked down at the grass.

"Why don't you join my group? We have good people," he said.

"Elliot would find me. You know that, right?" I say rudely. Why am I being rude to him? He saved my life and this was how I was repaying him?

"Sorry..." I said quietly while standing up to leave.

"Don't go back."

His hand caught my wrist and I forced myself out of his grip. You know that feeling in your throat you get when your about to cry? That was how I felt. And I feel like that everyday now since I left the boy in the sheriff's hat.

I woke up to screaming. I got on my shoes and got off of the floor. Elliot and I were currently staying in a cheap, run-down house for the past week.

I ran outside and froze when I saw him. And his group. How did he find us here?

The boy in the sheriff's hat caught my gaze and had a mixed expression between confusion, sadness, and happiness. Yeah, I know, it's a pretty weird combination, but he showed all of them pretty well.

"Amelia..." He whispered. Elliot looked back at me with hatred. They all looked at me. I shifted my weight and looked at all of them. What seemed to be the leader of the group had a beard and crystal blue eyes, just like the boy's.

The man next to him held a crossbow like it was his baby or something. Whatever it was, it was obvious he wasn't gonna let go of it any time soon.

Then came a Korean dude next to a chick with short brown hair. I saw the ring on her left finger and knew immediately that they were engaged.

There were some other people, but I couldn't look at all of them because I was distracted by something. No not something. Someone.

Beth.

She looked at me as if she was about to cry, but she gulped it down. We stared at each other for a few moments, but I looked away before they could notice. Especially Elliot. I mean, what if he hasn't seen her yet?

I'm not going to put her in that kind of danger again.

Suddenly, the boy I once knew, the boy I once talked to that day, punched Elliot right in the face.