four

CHAPTER 4
[ 5602 words ]

LATER THAT EVENING, VIOLET WAS fluffing her pillow, excitedly getting ready for bed knowing she'll be able to sleep in tomorrow because it was a friday. she placed billy on her side of the bed as her mom dried her hair after her bubble bath while telling her a story that she held very dear to her heart.

"i didn't have as many bubble baths as you because gamma mer and grandpa derek were usually out working. it was usually me, your uncle justin, and a sitter. or one of our aunts or uncles."

"but when grandpa derek, my dada, was home he made sure that i had the best bubble baths ever. he'd fill the whole tub up with bubbles and all my favorite water toys. and he wouldn't take me out until i was squeaky clean" lauren said, giggling softly before taking a brush from the night stand.

"then i'd get ready for bed but sometimes i'd convince him to let me stay up past my bed time. we'd build pillow forts and have tea parties, just like you and i would sometimes" she smiled, tapping the tip of her daughter's nose before brushing her hair

"grandpa derek sounds like he was a fun guy"

"oh he was sweetheart. he was wonderful"

"what does that mean?"

"he was — amazing. he was smart, funny, and kind. so kind. he had the biggest heart. and he loved — so much. he was the best person i knew. it's hard to find people like grandpa derek"

"am i wonderful mama?"

"oh yes you are! of course you are! i think you're the most wonderful girl in the world" lauren cooed, cupping her daughter's cheeks before giving her a firm kiss on the top of her head.

"so if grandpa derek was wonderful, why do you cry when you talk about him sometimes? did he make you sad?"

the blonde bit her lip and shook her head, blinking a couple times to hold back her tears upon feeling a slight pang in her heart. she ran her fingers through her daughter's hair, telling her

"no sweetie, he made me, and your uncle justin, gamma mer, gamma amy, and everyone around him very very happy", a sharp exhale escaped from her lips as she looked over at the bear that was somehow still intact nineteen years later.

"okay, little miss you try to go to bed alright? i'm just gonna take a shower."

"mama, i have another question..." the toddler then trailed, lauren, who was looking for her favorite silk pajamas (because mama really needed to treat herself after what went down today), hummed in response, saying

"what is it sweetheart?"

"did mister jaeden know my dada"

lauren paused, nearly dropping the clothes in her hand. she composed herself rather quickly, clearing her throat before slowly pivoting towards her daughter, asking her

"why do you ask?"

"i don't know, i just wanna know"

"well um — yeah. jaeden knew him very very well. he probably knew him as much as he knew himself" she stated, i mean technically it wasn't a lie, right?