CHAPTER 16

“SIBULELE! SIBULELE!” she shouts as soon as she is at the door.

The guard in the gate confirmed that he is in, so that’s why Futhy is shouting like a mad woman. He appears from the kitchen wearing shorts and an apron. In a blink of an eye, he is down from a hard backslap produced by Futhy. We all gasp. She goes to him, makes him stand and leads him to a guest bedroom. We follow behind them. When we get to the bedroom, she throws him on top of the bed and signals for me to close the door. I close it after sending an assuring glare at Kuhle who seems worried about his wife’s behaviour.

“SPEAK! NOW!” she shouts once again facing away from Lele. He gives me a look.
“Hey don’t look at me like that. I don’t keep secrets from them.” I say with my hands up in surrender and sit back on the couch. Lee comes to sit next to me.

“Thobeka and I got married two months ago. Her baby daddy is a gangster who is very powerful and controls almost everyone. He is still after Thobeka. After he heard about us dating, he terrorized her and made sure her visitation to her daughter are lowered to once a month. He said that if Thobeka were to marry me, he would make sure that she never sees her daughter again. I love Thobeka very much, which is why I married her in private. I know that my actions were…”

“What is the name of the baby daddy?” I ask. I have brought down so many gangsters before, even gang lords. I am pretty sure this won’t be that difficult.
“Tholumusa Mavimbela but he is known as Tholz.”
“I have had an encounter with that man in the past. He is very dangerous. Perhaps King Zenzo can help us deal with him.”

“How will Zenzo help us deal with a gangster?” Lee asks with a confused look.
“He is a former gang lord. He still has the connections. So he can help us.” I answer with a smile.

“I am failing to understand why you couldn’t come to me, your sister, about this matter. I thought you trusted me enough to talk to me about your problems. Or was I wrong? Am I no longer your shoulder to cry on?” Futhy asks in a pained tone.

“No sisi. That’s not it.” Lele stands up and goes to where Futhy is standing. Before he can reach her, she stops him with a hand gesture.

“I don’t care if the baby daddy is in the mafia or what. We are all going back to Morningside and you are going to tell Ndosi about this. You don’t understand what you have done. Marriage is a lifetime commitment between two people who love and cherish each other. In our culture, honoring both families is very important and what you have done just disregarded culture and customs. It is a total disrespect. You guys should’ve waited. You were wrong. It’s not like this Thulz character would’ve abducted Thobeka or something. I am very disappointed in you.” she looks at him for a long time and then heads out.

He looks down and sniffs. Lee stands up and goes to hug him. “I will speak to her. Don’t worry. You just have to prepare yourself for the meeting with Ndosi tonight because it is happening whether you like it or not.” She breaks the hug and pats him on the shoulder before heading out. I stand up.

“Don’t think about running away because there is no place in this world where Ndosi wouldn’t find you.” I also head out. I walk to the driveway and find the couples there. “Have you guys told them?”

“The short version. They will have to hear the long version at the meeting.” Futhy answers. “Since we are in Jozi, let’s have a spa day and we will see you guys lunch time.” She kisses her husband and then climbs into her car. Lee does the same. I also climb inside the car and Q drives out.

“Did Onna come back last night?” I ask Q.
“No boss. She said she will come back this evening and then she told me that you have to be back in Durban by at least Tuesday night or Wednesday morning next week because you have meetings lined up.” he informs me.