CHAPTER 49

“So you didn’t get me anything?” I ask folding my legs on the bed and staring at him. He chuckles and takes off his tie. Many people have left. It’s just my family, the Celes and the Ngwabes.
“I am naturally shy, so that’s why I didn’t come forward. Plus I was on duty.” I roll my eyes and he laughs. “Your new guards are a bit of dickheads.” I chortle.
“Why do you say that?”

“They are too strict. They nearly didn’t let me in. they are just dramatic. I know they are doing their job but damn, they should loosen up on the drama.” I laugh so hard. I have never heard him complain before. This is entertaining.

“Aren’t they from the agency?” he scoffs.
“They are but I didn’t train with them. They are from the Polokwane branch.”
“Onna also complained about them.” he chuckles.
“At least you don’t think I am bitching about this.” I laugh.
“They are just doing their job which is protecting me.”

“Trust me, I can do that.” he takes off his shirt and pants. He then takes his coat and retrieve a small box in his inside pocket. He hands it to me. “They say you save the best for last.” I smile and open it. My heart melts. This is the most beautiful bracelet I have ever seen. It is made of blue diamonds and it has some writing engraved on the inside. ‘Yours, Nick.’

“OMG! I love it so much. It’s so beautiful.” He smiles.
“I am glad you like it. Never take it off.” I stare at him with my eyebrows raised.
“Did you put a tracker on it?” he shrugs guiltily.
“For your own safety.” I smile.

“Just because it’s beautiful and you’re really cute right now, I will let it pass. Come put it on Me.” he chuckles and does as I say. “Masterpiece.” He comes to sit next to me.
“Hi queen.” I blush and look away. “Don’t go all shy on me now. You were fierce out there. Now continue being fierce Nomalanga.” I laugh at the way he pronounces my name.

“I like you and I want us to officialise our relationship. I know that publicizing it will attract you some unwanted attention. But I just wanna know if we are on the same page.” He sighs and takes my hand. He kisses it and looks at me.

“Well I don’t like you.” I frown and just as I am about to say something, he shushes me with his index finger. “I love you and I would like to be your man both in public and in private. I also want to introduce you to my family. So I think we should let our families know first before going public.”

“That means you want me to fly to Italy soon?”
“It doesn’t have to be soon plus they can come down here. You are a queen. You don’t have to fly oceans just to meet my family.” I sigh.
“I am not a queen to them, but I am your woman. So I have to humble myself and act like a humble prospective daughter in law rather than an arrogant queen of Emakhabeleni village.” He nods.
“I hear you. Can we now rest?” he doesn’t wait for me to answer. He just cups my face and kisses me. “You are so beautiful.” He whispers.

Nick spent the night in my bedroom and this morning, he asked Q to bring him fresh clothes. We have just finished bathing. Today we are supposed to have celebration as a family, that’s why the Celes and the Ngwabes didn’t leave last night. I have a plan or rather I am planning to make a huge announcement to everyone during breakfast. I get dressed in a mustard short sleeve bead mid-calf bodycon summer dress and gold strappy block heels. Nick stops buttoning up his shirt and looks at me. No, he stares at me.

“Is there something wrong with my outfit?” I ask brushing off invincible dust on my dress.
“Is there a special occasion you are attending?” I chuckle.
“I am queen now. I must represent.”
“Well you look too beautiful, you deserve a rooftop date.” I smile.
“We do have a rooftop here. Maybe I can ask the servants to set up a table for two for brunch.” He nods with a smile. “Leave the blazer.” He frowns.

“How am I supposed to hide my gun holster?”
“You won’t need it.”
“Well I am deciding to trust you.” I perk his lips and then do some touchups on my makeup. I put on a small tiara which was one of the gifts I got from my grandma.

“We can go now.” I grab his hand and lead him downstairs. His body tenses when we enter the dining hall but doesn’t let go. Everyone is sitting down, they all turn to look at us. “Good morning everyone. Meet my man, Nick Carter. Nick, you probably know everyone in this room.” I look at one of the helpers and they quickly bring an extra chair for Nick. We settle down side by side.

“My money.” Lee says extending her hand to Futhy who huffs before taking out a few notes from her wallet and hands it to Lee.
“Wait, you guys made a bet?” I ask already laughing.

“I told tase that you have fallen for Carter and you were going to make things official with him sooner than expected. I know you, Noma. You don’t love secretly. When you are happy in a relationship, you want everyone to know about it.” Lee says and I smile looking at Nick. He winks at me. Ndosi clears his throat and I snap out of this love trance.

“Yah Bo ‘love lives here’.” he says sarcastically and I know shit is about to hit the fan. I clear my throat and divert the attention into something else.

“I just want to thank everyone for the tremendous support you gave me yesterday and for making sure that my day was a success. Today marks the beginning of my new journey in life. I am excited but a bit scared about what lies ahead. What I want my family to know is that as much as I am queen, I still need your assistance in running this kingdom. So rest assured I will come to each and every one of you if I need any help.”

“All you need to do is shout.” Gcino says and we all laugh. What can I possibly need from him?
“We are very proud of you, mzukulu. Our home is your home. You still need to visit us in Western Cape.” My grandpa says and I smile.
“I am coming for the whole weekend next week.” my grandma smiles.
“We will be glad to host you with Nicholas.” She says eyeing Carter. I chuckle. “Will you come son?”

“I will have to ask my boss.” Carter answers.
“You can go.” Futhy quickly chirps in. we all laugh.
“Then it’s settled.” Grandma says smiling.

We finish breakfast on a high note and Phiwo asks me to come to his study. I close the door after me and he hands me some documents. “You have to sign a few documents, dade. I am sorry for requesting this on a Sunday. This is to officially stare that you are a queen and you have rights and privileges to many things, if not all, in the kingdom.” I nod and sit down. I scan through them quickly and sign them. “Also this will be your office from now on. The servants will move your things in here as soon as they are done moving my things.”

“Okay.” I finish signing the documents and hand them back to him. “Is there anything else?”
“You have a meeting with the royal council first thing in the morning tomorrow. After that a meeting with izinduna and councilors. I had my PA forward your schedule to Onna but I will company you to all the meetings tomorrow just to introduce you and then my wife and I will go tour around the world.”
“SBWL.” He laughs.

“You also have to have lunches or dinners with all of the royal families that attended your coronation. You don’t have to go to them immediately but you should before the year ends, for good faith and relationship. So, what’s the deal with your man?” I chuckle.
“You will have to talk to him and also teach him what he needs to do since he is Italian and is not familiar with our culture.”

“You have balls though.” I laugh and he also laughs. “Honestly I would’ve never introduced my girlfriend, ow wait, ‘woman’ like that.” I break into laughter again. Dear God. “I wish I can keep you in here for all day to avoid some confrontation but you gotta go face the music.”

“I am queen now. I don’t have to be questioned about my actions.”
“Girl you are Nontobeko and Maphikelela’s daughter. Whether you like it or not, you have to answer to them sisi.” I roll my eyes and he laughs.