CHAPTER 53

We settle the bill and as we head out, we are bombarded with journalists taking pictures and asking us questions. The guards are trying to keep them away and they are succeeding. Out of nowhere Onna makes her way to us.

“And then?” she laughs.

“You guys are breaking the net.” She turns to the journalist. “Good morning everyone. There is nothing to see here. Just our recently ordained Biyela queen having a casual breakfast with Princess Myeki. They would love their privacy as they now go their separate ways. Any questions you have on then would just have to wait for another day. Thank you.” she smiles and our guards lead us to our cars.

“That was so natural and just powerful. The way you dismissed those journalist.” I say to her the moment we settle at the backseat of my car. She smiles. “You should definitely be my, I don’t know, the royal spokesperson. You went from being a normal PA to being Abby Whelan in what, a few seconds? Girl that was power.” She laughs.

“I don’t know what came over me. When I saw the paparazzi, I just knew I had to come and rescue you guys. And thank you for the job offer. I will consider it.”
“Boss is right, that was sexy.” Q says turning to wink at Onna before focusing on the road.
“Hey. Eyes on the road, man. You wanna kill me?” I exclaim and he laughs.

We go drop Onna off at work before proceeding to the mall. Azile found out that the Scars are beautiful orphanage has about 25 kids residing there and two helpers who also live with them. The owner lives not far from the orphanage. She is a widow and doesn’t have kids of her own. She is just a struggling business woman and the orphanage survives on handouts from famous people. I sent Thembelihle a text and she arrives at the mall after twenty minutes. We head inside and start off by buying blankets, about 30 of them accompanied by matching throws, 3 chest of drawers, rugs, kitchen utensils also toys and we conclude our shopping by buying groceries.

When we are done, we order Big Mac meals for everyone and then drive to the orphanage. It’s already 3pm, so even the kids who are attending schools are back now. When we get there, we find a car with a huge sticker ‘UMSHUTHI OCLEAN PHOTOGRAPHY’. I turn to Thembelihle and she gives me an innocent smile.

“This is your first act of kindness as a queen. It deserves to be documented.” I chuckle and shake my head.
“You’re crazy.” We climb off the car.

I now travel with 20 guards, excluding Azile and Q. so I travel in a convoy of 6 cars. Azile walks inside the building. It looks worn out. I should definitely add it in my to do list. I should give this orphanage a makeover and I am sure if it was in a good state, many children would be staying here. Azile comes back with an old woman carrying a toddler in her arms. I walk to the gate to meet her halfway.

“Such an honor to meet you, your Majesty.” She says bowing a bit. I smile.
“I am also happy to be here. I am Queen Nomalanga Biyela.”
“And I am Khethiwe Mavuso. The owner of this small establishment.” We shake hands. “Please don’t mind the falling walls. We are trying so hard to get funding so that we can do some renovations.”

“I heard about your orphanage from my little sister. She actually said the place got destroyed a few weeks ago with floods. Now I know what I have bought won’t make much change, but I hope it will make the kids’ lives bearable until there is a permanent solution.” She smiles.
“Even your presence here, my queen, is making so much difference. I didn’t believe Miss Azile when she said there is a queen outside here to see you. I was actually putting this trouble maker to sleep.” I smile at the kid in her arms. He looks sleepy. I think he is four to five years old.

“Can you please give me a tour?”
“With pleasure.” We head inside. The toddler wants to jumps into my arms but she stops him, laughing.
“It’s fine. You can give him to me.” she smiles before handing the toddler to me.
“His name is Imithandazo Dube. His mother dropped him off at my doorstep when he was a year old. He is now 4 years, about to turn 5 in three months.”
“Does he attend crèche?”

“We have our own day care here and one of the staff members teach them all they need to know. She also teaches them how to read and write. Well the reading part is an ongoing process.” I laugh. We get to a big room and find all the kids there with two women who seem like the staff members. “Guys this is Queen Nomalanga Biyela. She decided to pay us a visit today. Let us treat her with respect and not bombard her with crazy hugs.” The kids laugh before greeting me in unison. I smile and greet them back. Imithandazo asks for me to let him go and I put him down. He goes to join the other kids on the floor.

“I just want you guys to know that I understand your situations. I have been to where you have been before. I was actually stolen from my parents a day after my birth. The woman who stole me did not have a good heart. The day she died, she told me about my family. Not in detail, just that she wasn’t my biological mother and she stole me. After that I was homeless and a friend told me about some orphanage. I carried so much anger in me that the woman who was in charge of the shelter threatened to chase me out a number of times. I was very smart, so when I was in grade 12, I applied to study for law. During my first year in varsity I was actually adopted but that’s a story for another day. I have bought a few things for the orphanage, I don’t know how you guys are going to sort it out.” I look at Khethiwe.

“Your people can bring the things inside.” I look at Azile and she heads out with a few guards. They walk back in with the things we bought. Khethiwe’s eyes glistens with tears. The guards make numerous trips until they are done bringing everything in. Umshuthi Oclean is busy taking pictures of every moment. Thembelihle is also holding her phone. I don’t even know what she is doing. “This is too much, your Majesty.” I shake my head.

“It’s not. I wish I knew your situation. I would’ve bought more things but I promise to bring more the next time I come back.”
“Thank you so much.” She attacks me with a hug and I giggle, hugging her back. “That was random. Sorry.” I laugh. She turns to the kids. “How about we say thank you to Queen Biyela?”
“THANK YOU SO MUCH QUEEN BIYELA FOR STOPING BY. WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU!” my cheeks heat up.

Khethiwe orders the kids to take some of the things in the bedrooms. My guards help with carrying the heavy stuff. They come back and we hand them paperbags which they again thank me for before indulging in them. I walk out with my people, leaving the kids still eating. As much as I would love to stay, I still need to head back home. Khethiwe catches up with us as we are exiting the gate.

“Thank you for everything you did for us, your Majesty. We really appreciate it and we wish God can bless you with everything your heart desires.” I smile.
“Thank you for having Me.” we hug once again and she heads back inside.
“Sisi look this way.” Thembelihle says and I turn to look at her. She is taking a video. “This is a live video. Say anything you would like to say.” I chuckle.

“Well I just wanna pass a message to all my friends. My birthday is coming, soon. Instead of worrying about what you are going to buy for me, please find an orphanage, shelter or charity to donate to. I also want proof that you guys donated. Thank you.” I wink and she ends the live video.
“That was cool.” I smile.

“Thank you for bringing me here. I know I had a lunch commitment but I guess Onna would have to reschedule. Now let’s go eat late lunch. I hope Lee cooked.” She laughs.
“Maybe bhut Mabutho did.” I chuckle.
“Yeah, maybe.”