Chapter 1

"Mother!"

The little girl's scream rang out through the dark night.

The girl and her mother had been taking a trip to visit one of the mother's friends. The trip had been fairly quiet for the most part. The two had been incognito after all. They went nearly four days of travel without incident.

It was on the fourth night that things went wrong.

After having already rested a good while in a nearby town, they ended up deciding to travel in the cover of the night when it would be cooler and there would be less foot traffic. Walking didn't particularly bother them like the two other members of their family, and they were actually enjoying themselves as they walked along the main road, giggling and telling stories to pass the time.

They were so caught up in their stories that they had forgotten to pay attention to their surroundings, and they didn't even notice the large group of men surrounding them until it was too late. They struck without a word. The mother was slain first, and the girl-

"Ji-ah, wake up," a soft, feminine voice called out, shaking an ebony haired girl from her sleep. "Ji-ah, Ji-ah! You promised to help me get ready today!"

The previously sleeping girl sighed before sending her younger sister a small smile. "I suppose I did, didn't I?" She sat up slowly before grabbing a piece of black cloth off her bedside table. She tied the cloth around her closed eyes and shifted her blanket off of her body. Ji-ah swung her legs off of the bed and slowly stood up, patting the top of her sister's head softly. "Why don't you go on ahead while I get myself dressed? I shouldn't take too long. I'm sure Min-soo will help you prepare any dresses or accessories that you might want to wear."

"Alright," Ji-ah could practically hear the pout in Yona's, for that was the other girl's name, voice. "But make sure not to forget, okay?"

"Of course," Ji-ah smiled down at the shorter girl and gently ruffled her hair. "I promised I would help after all. Have you ever known me to go back on my word?"

"No," Yona admitted, a cheerful smile growing on her face as she hugged her older sister tightly around the middle. "I can always count on Ji-ah for anything!"

"And never forget that, okay?" Ji-ah told her. "Now run along. I'll be there soon."

As soon as Yona left the room, Ji-ah let the smile fall off her face. She let out a sigh and ran a hand through her hair tiredly as she sat back down on her bed. She had been having the same dream, or nightmare she supposed, for weeks, and it was starting to take a toll. Granted, it wasn't any worse than her usual dreams, but it still wasn't pleasant.

Most of the time, she would just write off her nightmares for what they were: bad memories. There was just something different this time. She had a feeling that something was going to happen that would change everything.

She just didn't know what.

****

"Hey Ji-ah," Yona started, messing with her hair as she looked at herself in the mirror. "How do you always manage to help me look so beautiful even though you're blind?"

The black haired beauty turned her head to 'look' at Yona from where she stood at the door after letting in Min-soo, who had arrived with tea. Ji-ah herself had made it to Yona's room ages ago and had been helping her with her clothes and makeup and had even helped her with her hair. It took a while for Yona to be completely satisfied with everything, but she still managed it. She wasn't entirely sure how, but she wasn't complaining.

Yona could be very hard to please to say the least.

In any case, Ji-ah gave her sister a soft smile in response to the question. "You look beautiful even without my help, my dear little sister."