12. It Has Been You All Along.

After a few more hours they went back to George's place. The two of them are exhausted and crashed down onto the couch. "God, that was fun." Dream chuckled, still needing to catch his breath from fooling around on the way home.

"Yes it was." George smiled and comfortingly scratched Dream's head, playing with his blonde hair. They wandered around town for hours till their feet were hurting. Nevertheless, they enjoyed every second of it.

The late night walk had given them more time to get to know each other, and show how they truly are when no one else is watching. Not only that, but at 4 a.m. everything feels like a fever dream. The cobblestone streets are empty, and the snow adds an extra sparkle of magic to the moment.

Dream had told quite a bit about himself, but the reason why he stopped talking remains unknown. I get why it's difficult for someone to understand Clay, he has build up a wall around him by taking back one of his abilities. But as soon as the bricks started to crumble, it showed a warm-hearted and pure person. George thought as he kissed Dream's forehead, happiness filling his heart by the realisation that they are officially together.

His eyes talk, too. His mother was right. God, they tell so many stories, but they also hide one that he refuses to tell. George lifted Dream's chin, "Can I?" He politely asked as Dream leans in with a nod, smiling softly as their lips brushed against each other.

"I saw that..." A voice behind them suddenly called out. Wilbur appears in the doorway, coming home after -what seemed to have been- a rough and difficult night. "You guys are perfect for each other, but I gotta admit, that's kinda gay. " He finally spoke, a chuckle taking over the sentence.

"You're such an idiot." George scoffed as he threw a pillow in Will's direction. He pulled Dream up from their comfortable position on the couch and walked into the hallway. "Can I talk to you, George?" Wilbur asked as he pulled his brother back. George was about to speak up, but Wilbur already took over the silence, "Alone, please."

''Can you do that later-" George stepped back, his body language signing that he'd rather be with Dream right now. "It's okay." Dream's quiet voice interrupted the conversation. "I'll go to the guest room and try to sleep." He smiles as he disappears into the room, whispering a faint and barely audible "Goodnight..."

Dream quickly snatched a paper out of his backpack and crashed down onto the bed. I guess everyone is still healing from things they don't speak about. He thought, staring at the paper signed with George's signature.

His eyes were locked on it, he couldn't get himself to look away. It couldn't be real, right? He convinced himself to just forget about it as he threw the paper aside, tossing and turning around in the bed. A few hours must have past by and little by little, he became unable to fall asleep.

Not knowing if it was caused by the feeling of possibly being betrayed or the lag of contact with everything around him, he got up and stared out of the window for a bit. Just letting his thoughts sink in.

--
George could tell Dream was having trouble falling asleep by the footsteps he heard in the hallway. Like expected, the movements stopped in front of his door. "George?" There was a pause between the whispered words, "Are you up?"

"I am, come in." He responded after while. His voice was low, but he tried his best to hide that he was tired. "I didn't wake you, did I?" Dream asked as soon as he saw George's sleepy head and squinted eyes. While pulling himself up to make space for Dream he mumbled, "It's okay. I couldn't sleep anyway." George watches as he sits down in front of him. He was acting differently, almost like he wasn't really here.

George reaches out for his hand and starts massaging it, just to be more in contact with him. "Why are you always so tensed up at night?" He asked, noticing Dream's behavior and the way he was quieting down. "Are you okay?"