[new agent three x reader]

I felt personally targeted when they revealed this design but boy if I'm complaining lmaooo

So I believe that the Splatoon 3 player character's official name is New Agent Three? Which is super confusing but I get what they're trying to do, New Agent Three starring in Splatoon 3, it's cute. But I'm still calling them by my headcanon name (Bow) and the same for Little Buddy. (Arrow)

For future readers: I'm sure you could already tell but this was made before Splatoon 3's release. If I get anything wrong, that's why. Also this might come off as self-inserty because it totally is tbh

× × ×

The desert sun relentlessly beat down on your skin this early morning. You huffed as you wiped the sweat off your forehead, but that only gave short-lived relief. All you could do was hurry gathering your supplies so you could quickly find some shade.

"Sleeping bag, check. Tent, check. Food supply..." You scanned the area for your backpack, only to find that it was missing from sight.

"...Shit."

Yeah, there wasn't any way you'd be able to get out of here without that. It contained the last of your snacks and especially the last water bottles. Leave those behind in this heat? Forget it.

So you began your slightly panicked search. You looked through every nook and cranny of your campsite, until you heard the sound of rustling plastic from behind a rock. Cautiously, you slowly approached the rock and looked behind it to find...

...A smallfry digging through your backpack?

He was tiny, plump, and cutely bounced up and down as he munched on a pack of crackers. His head peeked up to give you an innocent gaze. Your heart melted in seconds. It was impossible to be upset at something so adorable.

"Hey there, little friend!" You beamed, crouching down to his height. His beady eyes were fixated on your every move. "What're you doing all the way out here?"

Naturally, the smallfry couldn't answer you. But a voice from far away appeared to chime in just in time.

"Arrow! What the heck did you dash off for, little buddy?!"

Your head snapped up to see a new figure running towards your area. Another smile tugged on your lips, eyes dropping back to the smallfry. "Or maybe you're a little buddy."

The figure gradually came to a stop as they approached your spot. Their mouth fell in surprise once they saw the salmonid half-way buried in your bag. "Aw man, I'm sorry about tha-"

Their apology was cut off when they actually caught a glimpse of your face. They paused and gawked at your friendly grin, their jaw still limp and their eyes shining with excitement. It took a few moments for them to recover.

A sheepish smile grew on their face. "Heh. Sorry for staring." Then they scooped the salmonid up so he couldn't steal any more snacks. He whined and squirmed around like a bratty toddler, but it easily went ignored.

"It's okay." You reassured through your laughter. You made quick work of re-packing the bag and swinging it over your shoulder. "Your buddy there is really cute."

"Yeah, cute enough to get away with stealing crackers." They snorted, further tucking him under their arm after he cried out towards the food. "His name is Arrow."

The conversation could've ended right then. The two of you could've said your goodbyes and go your seperate ways. But finding another person in the Splatlands was such a rare occurence that a simple acknowledgement wouldn't do. Neither of you would settle for it.