two

***

"maybe i just like looking at you."

i smiled remembering that night,"using my words against me dickinson?"

"they're good words," she closed the distance between us and grabbed my hands. i slowly rubbed her hand with my thumb,"i'm glad your staying here."

"me too," our eyes met again,"you wanna know why?"

"why?" she asked dazed, like she was lost in the moment.

"because i can do this more."

i closed the inches left between us, connecting our lips. her hands moved to my face, keeping me close. it had been about two months since i had been here and i missed this.

holding emily.

kissing emily.

talking to emily.

just being with her.

when air became a problem we pulled away and emily rested her forehead on mine. she sighed,"i missed that," i let out a small laugh before she suddenly pulled away with wide eyes,"can you believe them?!"

i looked at her confused and still a little startled by her actions,"um believe what em?"

"austin and sue?! they're getting married!"

once i realized what she was referring to i raised my arms in agreement,"i know! it's so ugh!" i shook my body in disgust remembering that my best friend and sister were getting married.

both of us were still shaking off the cooties when there was a knock at the door. we quickly got ourselves together and emily brushed off her dress,"um come in!"

the door opened and austin poked his head in,"what were you two doing?"

i was looking for an excuse before emily answered,"ew austin don't be so nosy."

her comment made austin uncomfortable which made me snicker,"never mind then. sue and i just told mom and dad about our engagement and their ecstatic. granted mom will never be ready to have another woman love me, but overall it went well. so, you two will just have to accept the fact that we will be getting married."

emily rolled her eyes,"fine. go be happy with my best friend however i will let you know she will never love you as much as she loves me." she said dramatically.

austin chuckled at his sisters dramatics before turning to me,"y/n, are you settled in alright," i sent him a stiff nod,"good," he looked over at emily's twin size bed,"jeez, how on earth are you two going to fit on there?"

emily looked at me then back at her brother,"that is nothing for you to worry about brother. y/n and i will figure something out. right y/n?"

i was thrown of guard by her question,"oh um yeah."

"alright then," austin went to leave but then turned back,"oh emily, when you get a chance sue wats to ask you how it went with the suitor mom had you meet today."

suitor? god her mom is still trying to marry her away. she's probably met with every guy in amherst at this point. 

emily nodded,"sure, tell her i'll be right there."

austin closed the door and i plopped down in emily's desk chair,"so, which lucky guy did meet with today?"

she groaned and flopped down on her bed,"it was george, the one who does shakespeare club with us. mom didn't realize i had already met him when she set it up. however he does have a thing for me."

"hmm so you're saying i have competition?"

emily sat up and turned to me,"please nobody compares to you," she got up and started pacing,"god, i just wish you and i could run away. no more parents, no more suitors, no more chores. just you and me."

i smiled at the idea,"that would be nice," i walked towards her and rested my hands on her waist as hers went around my neck,"but i would kind of miss my sister."

"yeah, i would probably miss her too. i should probably go downstairs and talk to her before she wonders where i am."

"ok, you go ahead i'll be right down." emily kissed me one more time before leaving the room.

no one's pov:

emily walked into the parlor to see sue talking with vinnie. vinnie noticed her walk in first,"oh emily! sue was telling me that her and austin are getting married isn't it amazing?"

she fake a smile,"yup, it's great, highlight of my day honestly."

sue chuckled at emily's sarcasm,"emily is y/n upstairs?"

"oh yeah, she just wanted to finish getting settled."

she's eyes lit up and patted the empty spot next to her,"good! then you can tell me all about how the hunt for your husband is going."

emily ran her hands down her face,"sue no, you know i hate the whole idea of it."

"oh come on it can't be that bad."

vinnie chimed in,"at least mom wants you out of the house. she wants me to stay here forever because i'm good at housework."

emily flopped down next to sue and started talking,"well the one she set me up with to day wasn't too bad-" sue's squealing cut her off,"because i already know him. he's a friend of mine so that won't work out."

sue's excitement died down,"ugh, i thought we had made progress."

emily played with her fingers, preparing to mess with sue,"well...i do have my eye on someone."

lavinia dropped her knitting supplies as her and sue both looked at her,"my sister found someone? who is it?"

"i cant tell you that."

"oh come on emily don't do that to us," sue pleaded.

"uh oh, what did she do this time?" y/n teased as she came around the corner.

back to y/n's pov:

emily got up from the sofa and made her way over to me,"thank god you're here, just in time to get me out of this conversation. come on, i have to pick up something from betty."

i wasn't even to answer before emily pulled my arm out the door.

"i will find out who it is emily dickinson!" i heard sue yell as we walked out.

"what was she talking about?"

emily smiled,"i told her i had my eye on someone but you came down before i could tell her who it was."

i quietly laughed,"well you weren't even going to tell her anyway were you?"

she looked at me and nodded,"nope not until we're ready."

as we walked towards the town we had our hands loosely linked together. at a point she grabbed my bicep with her other hand and rested her head on my shoulder.

we stayed like that until we got into town where we separated.

it was hard having to hide us. but we both knew neither of us were ready to face what could've come just yet.

***