three

***
that night emily and i laid in her bed staring at each other, playing with each other's fingers. we didn't speak. we simply just enjoyed each other's company.

she tucked a piece of hair behind my ear before breaking the silence,"you ready for tomorrow? we haven't really talked about your sister passing, i just wanna make sure you're ok."

i sighed and looked down at our hands,"i'm fine. i mean once you've watched literally everyone else in your family die, it gets easier. at least you'll be there this time." i looked back up at her and was met with a small smile.

"oh um, i was wondering if i could talk you about something real quick."

"yeah of course."

"these suitors, the ones your mom is setting you up with, you're not actually going to marry one of them, are you?"

she looked at me for a second before letting out small laugh,"of course not. i just have to entertain my mom for a little longer before she gives up. but no one will ever have my heart except you."

i moved my hands to hold her face and kissed her softly. she rested her head on my shoulder as i wrapped my arms around her and shortly after we both fell asleep.

~~~

at breakfast the next morning i could tell the death of our sister had really started to hit sue. she was quiet most of the morning but austin did his best to comfort her.

sue and austin sat across from lavinia, emily, and i, emily being in the middle. emily held my hand under the table as her thumb ran over my knuckles.

mrs. dickinson walked in with another plate of scones. she looked at how none of us had touched our plates other than vinnie of edward,"i am offended."

edward looked up from his newspaper,"what are you talking about?"

"the children have barely touched their food!" she explained while setting the plate down on the table a little harder than intended.

emily looked at her,"mom please, it's a hard day for y/n and sue. can you give them one day without your passion to be a determined housewife?"

"emily i will do no such thing. sue, y/n," we both looked at her,"i am very sorry for your loss but i will never falter to be the best woman possible. now please eat before i have a mental breakdown."

sue and i looked at each other before taking a bite of our food. mrs. dickinson smiled before heading back to the kitchen.

emily turned to me and lightly squeezed my hand,"you don't have to eat if you don't want to. it's fun to see her get riled up."

i laughed a little,"it's fine em, it's the least i could do to thank her for letting us into her home." she gave me a smile before vinnie spoke up.

"i hope joseph lyman goes to the funeral."

we all looked at her confused,"lavinia what would he go? he didn't even know their sister." austin questioned.

"i know but maybe he'll be there to support me."

emily rolled her eyes at her sisters whines over a man while the rest of us continued eating.

~~~

we were at mary's funeral and sue and i stood across from emily and austin. the priest's words sounded muffled as i stared at a random leaf at the ground. even though we were at my sisters funeral i found myself daydreaming, as usual.

i thought about my drawings. i thought about vinnie's rant about joseph on the way here. i thought about how i got to wake up with emily this morning.

i was snapped out of my thoughts when sue sniffled next to me. i looked over to see a few tears running down her face. i wrapped an arm out her shoulder and let her rest her head on mine.

i looked up to see emily watching our interaction with a small smile.

she mouthed a few words which made me smile,"i love you."

i mouthed them back which made austin, who was behind her, look at me confused. i just stared him down which made him uncomfortable and look away.

***

(sorry i didn't update yesterday, i definitely fell asleep before i could finish this chapter)