✧𝐕𝐈

« 卍 »

The alluring smell of food floated in the air, putting the crowd of humans in a trance like state. It felt like the Cockaigne to the newcomers, as they looked around with sparkling eyes and drooling mouths, which their personal human wallet chuckled at.

"Let's go to the yakisoba stall!"

"How can you not get sick by this?!"

"HAH? WHY DO YOU CARE?!"

"The gyoza over there looks rad!"

"They're all takeaways, right?"

"Where are the Japanese sweets?!"

One could hear from a mile their sprouting excitement and Washi was forced to scold them for literally screaming and jumping around like the kids they were. He felt bad for the other customers and workers, who had to endure their chaotic behaviour, forgetting himself as the main victim responsible to look after them.

Though he couldn't hold back the small smile when observing their joyous expressions, having not a single concern about what will happen next and living in the current moment. Sometimes he could feel the nasty feeling of envy bubbling inside him like the lava did in the Mount Vesuvius before its eruption, causing the tragedy of the antique Pompeii. Every so often he felt the urge to let this disgraceful emotion erupt like the volcano, but where were the benefits for him there? Right, there wasn't any. Instead only more consequences would patiently await him like ashes killing the remaining lives.

Forcefully pushing his storm of thoughts and feelings aside, he contently watched the delinquents enjoy their time to the fullest from behind them, having slowed down his pace a bit. He was frequently included in their conversation by Mikey and half-heartedly threw in a reply, his attention being focused elsewhere. It was mostly stranding back to the old times with his precious gang due to the animated and wild ambience currently around them.

One of the teenagers noticed their literally growing distance, and joined his side, bringing the brunet back to reality with his relaxing voice, "Thank you for today."

Flinching, Washi looked to his left and saw the silver-lilac hair of Mitsuya. Playing back his memory, he responded with a closed-eye smile, "It's nothing to thank for. I don't concern myself too much with money." Another lie added to the pile.

The younger shook his head, disclaiming, "It's not only about the money. Thank you for coming back. The three always tried to hide it and play tough, but we could point out the sadness in their smiles when talking about you." Just from listening to their stories I started to admire this unknown 'aniki', but I could never fathom how lonely they must have felt. I always wanted to meet you personally and here you are. I still can't really believe that my wish has become true. Maybe Santa saw me as a well-behaved kid.

Washi's expression showed his surprise about the revelation of the teenagers' actual feelings, but he knew that they were too proud and scared to show this side of them to others, especially to him. With guilty eyes and slightly furrowed brows he looked in front of them and lost himself when staring holes in the smallest's back. On the other hand, Mikey felt his burning eyes fixated on him and turned around to see his two friends far behind them, catching the attention of the others alongside.

The fashionista glimpsed Washi's small, unconscious smile, bringing one to his lips as well. The soft expression of the adult was surprisingly soothing and a sacred sight to behold, but he did not remark the sadness hidden behind it.

"Let's catch up to them," he suggested before picking up his pace to not have them wait any longer.

Washi felt his cheek starting to hurt, having been awhile to wear a genuine smile for so long, but the pain was merely a feeble sensation that could not contrast to the delight and guilt he felt. Staying for a while wouldn't hurt anyone, right?