Chapter 24

The two drove in a tense silence all the way to the Emily's house that held the entire pack minus Brady and Embry on patrol

The two drove in a tense silence all the way to the Emily's house that held the entire pack minus Brady and Embry on patrol. Paul finally speaking or even looking at Alex for the first time. "I smelled something else while I was out there." He admitted seeming like he didn't want to.

"Why are you acting so weird?" Alex asked clearly nervous as he took a deep breathe trying to rip it off like a bandaid. "Alex-...." He stopped trying to think how to tell her he smelled Mason out there.

"Just say it Paul I can take it." Alex muttered before he looked away with a grimace scared how she would react. "I smelled Mason, Alex." He said quickly but she still caught it and her mind went to the worst. "Was he hurt? Did that leech hurt him did she-" Alex rambled worried as she would call Masons parents with the news of his death. She was fine with him living elsewhere but not dead she wouldn't wish that on anyone.

"No Alex..... he was with the leech. The two of them were watching us." He admitted making her furrow her eyebrows before shaking her head. "He wouldn't do that okay? Mason is a lot of things but a traitor isn't one. Okay he's literally as loyal as a dog. The irony." She said the last word unsure she was even using it right but Paul softly smiled at it before grimacing again. "He was Alex. I don't know why but- he wasn't hurt. He was just there." Paul admitted making Alex look down at her hands clenching them to fight the tears that burned her eyes.

She felt betrayed.

"N-no, he wouldn't d-do that. I know he was upset  but-" Alex said in a big ramble yet determination buts topped short seeing his face. "I'm sorry." He said making her look down at her hands mouth slightly agape in disbelief eye brows furrowed shaking her head. (Cue Olivia Rodrigo Traitor 💀)  Alex sat there in thought as Paul drive them to Emily's not sure he wanted her at her house if Mason was running with a leech. He didn't want to risk it.

As they pulled up the guys watched with excitement thinking they would have went to her room right after. They wanted to hear all the good news about the promise ring Paul had gotten her. It was a promise ring. But as Paul came storming in with a stoic Alex the guys feared she had said no but- it was worse then they thought.

"That red headed leech was watching us." Paul informed the second he walked in making Sam stiffen with Emily on his lap looking fully alert. "What?" He asked as the guys looked intrigued but sad the leech had ruined his special moment with Alex. "She was with Mason." Alex spoke for the first time surprising the guys how different she seemed. It was almost like she were just a hollow shell of what once was as she processed.

"She didn't kill him did she?" Jared asked as everyone witnessed the uncomfortable look Alex wore shifting around. "No. They were just watching." Paul explained as Alex stared away from everyone's prying gazes. "But-" Quil began to ask but was cut off by Paul giving him a dirty look for them all to stop as he glanced at Alex who looked stoic still. "How about something to eat Alex?" Emily asked knowing the girl was always hungry for her cooking.