Chapter One

Third Person
The shop door open, causing the bell to go off. This alerted Iyesha. She stopped arranging the assortment of roses to greet her costumer.
"Hi how are you?"
Her smile greeted Santo.

Her eyes finally met the man that had just entered her shop. She felt a chill run down her spine as she stared at one of the most feared men in Philadelphia. Saint Genovese. But she kept her composure.
"Roses for Genovese."
His deep baritone voice boomed throughout her floral shop.

"Yes sir."
She shuffled to the back to grab the huge bouquet of roses. Holding them with care she wrapped them in the appropriate paper and added a big white bow to the center. Her signature.

"Here you are sir."
She made sure to not look him in his eyes, those cold hard eyes held no expression.

His hands brushed over hers as they exchanged the bouquet. He handed her a receipt and she rung up his purchase. Big spender.
"$299.99."
Her voice sounded like sweet angels to his ears. He watched her avoid his glare, it was cute to him.

"You know not looking someone in the eyes could be taken as disrespect."
He teased and her eyes finally met his. Pretty brown eyes.

He handed her 5 crisp hundreds, turned and headed out before she could hand him his change. She had heard about his family, the Genovese crime mob— a branch of the Italian mafia. And Santo "Saint" Genovese was of the most feared. The stories of what he was capable of were some of the most horrific she had heard.

His hard expression was something she couldn't shake from her mind. Her heart raced as she realized she know owed the Italian Mafia a favor. The 200.1 dollars that Santo Genovese had left in her possession was now a burden.

•••••••

"Happy birthday madre."
Santo handed the bouquet to his mother and her smile grew ear to ear.

"Ah my figlio. My sweetest boy, thank you so."
Her Italian accent was as thick as cold peanut butter.

"You're welcome."
He planted a kiss on her cheek.

"Saint!"
His father barked. With the slight roll of his eyes he turned to face his father. Him and his father's relationship was quite rocky. Between his training to become the Don after his father passed, and everything else— they didn't have much bonding time. He often felt like his father was threatened by him as he saw the signs as he began to mature.

"Father."
He stared blankly.

"No time to kiss up to your mother, we have business to discuss."
And with that he was pulled into his father's office.

As they discussed negotiations for their associates, the only thing on Santo's mind was that pretty young thing at the flower shop. She looked innocent— corruptible. Those big doe like eyes that lost a bit light when it she saw him in the shop— she was scared. He had sort of trapped her— that change he left would come in handy soon.

"Son are you listening to me?"
His father's hand banged on the table. Santo's eyes drifted to meet his father's.

"Why wouldn't I be?"
He said monotonous .

He heard his father huff before he continued talking.
"Iyesha, Iyesha, Iyesha. Mine now."
He thought.

•••••••

"Romeo, my baby."
Iyesha dropped her bags as she saw her cat approaching her. Hurrying to pick him up, she gave him kisses before setting him down. Romeo was her chunky tuxedo cat that she got from a neighbor, years back. He was her everything.