Lost

Nobody adjusted to the darkness, it made them uneasy and panicky, especially since they had been accompanied by the chilling whispers. Alex had kept a grip on Francis' arm, this time however Francis didn't care, at least now he knew he wasn't alone. Hannah had the useful idea of backing up against a wall, with fear that somebody was going to reach out of the darkness and attack her. Somebody was heard crying, all just assumed it was Amelia. 

The whispering danced round everybody's ear drums, they each stood where they were, not moving almost as if they were paralysed, the goosebumps on their arms would have been noticeable had the light been on. That was when Davey heard it, he was the first. The faint sound of footsteps from afar, he was unsure in which direction they were coming from but he knew it was coming towards them. Alex shivered, then he groaned, one of the whispers he had heard closer this time, it made him feel as though the horrors were just about to begin.

"Is everybody here?" Davey asked speaking quietly.

They all replied in the same tone, not wanting to awaken whatever terrors this place evidently held. 

"Who is that breathing so hard?" Alex asked irritably,

"Shh," Davey persisted. "It's none of us... we're not alone here."

Shop doors creaked from the soft breeze that had suddenly entered the building, but nobody knew how that could be. Rustling and low grumbling sounds filled the air, and the breathing got heavier.

There was a gentle hush for a moment, each of them had expected  the lights to reappear, to dazzle them, blind them with their beauty... that did not happen. The hush was unexpectedly interrupted by a low noise, something like a huge rock, or a heavy door being opened. The hushed voices came again, this time echoing, making each of them feel as if somebody was beside them.

"Davey...?" Francis breathed, he was shaking uncontrollably he had never been so terrified in his life.

"Shh," Davey repeated. "Don't let them hear us."

"Davey, Alex has let go of me."

"Alex?" Davey whispered, there was no response, he repeated himself a little bit louder... there was still no response.