Chapter 3 Thanks for the Memories

It was a snowy day in New York City, and Danny Reagan was walking on 23rd avenue. He was on his way to the NYPD where he worked as a detective. Within 25 minutes he was at the police department.  He went inside and sat down at his desk. His partner Jackie Baez said "Hey Reagan." "Hi." "Look, um I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but-" "But what? What happened?" "Your sister, um-" "What about her?" "Reagan, she was shot." "What how?" "Well, we don't exactly know that. I saw her in the park, and I came and got you as soon as I could." "I'm going. Go tell the Sarge. And call 911." "Alright." Danny raced down to Erin's side. She hadn't been bleeding badly, it must've just happened. She said "Danny, oh Danny, where did you come from?" "Not important, look just calm down. An ambulance is on their way." "Ok." "In the meantime let's stop this bleeding. Stay with me sis. I'm going to call Jamie." "Ok." Danny got out his cell phone and called Jamie he said "Hey kid, Erin's been shot." "Is she ok?" "I don't know. She's talking to me; an ambulance should be on their way." "Ok, I'm coming. Where are you at?" "Central Park next to the statues. Bye." "Ok, bye."  Jamie made his way over there, and by the time he got there Danny was in the ambulance with Erin. He asked the paramedics if she was going to be ok and they said yes. Jamie and Danny were relieved. After they arrived at the hospital and put Erin in a bed and made her feel better, she said "Danny, where did you come from?" "Well, Baez told me you were hurt." "And you came?" "Course, your my-" "If you say kid sister, when I'm better, I'm going to hit you so hard, you'll-" "I'll what? Laugh?" "Ugh. I'd hit you but I can't move without hurting." Danny smiled. Soon the doctor came in. She said "Ms. Reagan, you will soon be fine, we just need to perform surgery to get the bullet out, then sew you up, give you some pain medication, and you can go home." "Thank you."  Then the doctor took her into the other room, and Danny went into the waiting room. After her surgery, she woke up, and her arm was in a sling. She took her medication, and checked out of the hospital. Danny drove her home. After 6 days she started feeling so much better.  While Danny was sitting at his desk, Erin came through the door with some coffee, apparently she was on break. She said "Danny, here is some coffee." "Why did you buy me coffee?" "Let's just say this is for yesterday." Danny took a sip then said "Ow! My mouth is on fire!" He ran over to the coffee table grabbed some creamer and squirted it in his mouth. His mouth soon cooled down. She said "Ha Ha." "You just wait until Sunday Dinner sis." Erin turned around and walked out, she had started walking with smile on her face, but soon her smile turned to a frown. She was actually kind of nervous of what he would do to her. Soon Sunday dinner rolled around.  While they were sitting at the table Danny looked at Erin with a smirk. No one said anything, except Sean. He said "Hey grandpa, did you hear about what Aunt Erin did to Dad?" "No, what'd she do?" "Put hot sauce in his coffee." "What? Erin." Erin said "I was just playing a joke on him." Danny said "Well, some joke, so here's what you'll get." He got up, went over to Erin, took her arm, took her outside, put her under the doorway, and then pushed a button. He started laughing so hard! She screamed "DANNY!!" Their dad came out and said "Daniel Fitzgerald Raegan! That was uncalled for. Apologize and..." He took him out to the hose, and squirted him with the hose. He screamed "DAD! What was that for?" "For doing THAT to your sister." Erin ran off into the house crying. Frank went after her. He went into the bathroom grabbed a towel, and went into the second bedroom. Frank said "Erin, are you ok?" "Do I look ok?" "You know this is hard to believe, but Danny loves you." "Yeah, well did he ever want me as a sister? He's an awful brother." "Now don't you say that about Danny. Look, I remember when he was 2 years old and he found out that he was going to be a big brother. He was so happy he could hardly stand it. Then you were born 9 months later and he was even more thrilled then." "Yeah but then I turned 4 and he became annoying." "Yeah well, Joe was 2 then.  He had figured out what got on your nerves." "It was awful. Then 6 rolled around and it was worse. By the time I was 16, I had so many bruises and scares, you'd think I'd just returned from the war." "Yep. Jamie was only 12 then. Look Erin, the only reason he aggravates you is because he's being a good big brother." "You mean older brother dad?" "Yes. People don't say big brother anymore?" "No not really." "Alright. He's being a good older brother.  And you've witnessed that he really does care about you." "Yes. Guess you're right." "And Erin, remember this?" He handed her a stuffed teddy bear. Erin said "This was Danny's. Didn't he call it Biddy Bear?" Frank nodded and raised his eyebrows. Erin understood and said "Oh yeah."  She got cleaned up and went downstairs to the living room. Everyone was watching the football game. She held the toy behind her back and said "Hey Danny. Look what I found." And she took the toy out from behind her. He said "I don't know what that is." "Sure you do. Remember you called him Biddy Bear." Everyone laughed.  Jamie said "Biddy Bear?" Danny smiled a little and shook his head, then said "He was a just a toy I had when I was little." Erin said "I remember you being in your room talking to it. You wouldn't let mom give it to Jamie when he was born." "Hey...he was mine." "Remember the song you sang to him?" "Uh..no." "Funny cause I do. It goes a little like this: I love you, you love me, and we're a happy family." Everyone laughed, then Danny said "Ok, ok, that's enough. Erin you had a little unicorn named Smelly so." "Her name was Nelly." "Whatever, and chuckles over there, remember your monkey, Sir Monks a lot." Jamie stopped laughing and said "Yeah, I remember you taking him and threating to shove him down a toilet if I told on you for something."  "Good times huh kid?" "No, because you did it anyway, and got grounded, and I didn't have a toy anymore." Danny just laughed. Frank said "Ok, that's enough." Jack said "Dad, why did you call your toy Biddy Bear?" "I actually don't know." Frank said "He started calling him Biddy Bear because he wanted to name Erin, Biddy. The bear was added, because he thought Biddy wasn't enough." Danny looked at Erin and laughed. She said "Well his naming skills have certainly improved." Everyone laughed, and went home a couple hours later.