All In The Family

"Well, here it is, sweetheart. Welcome to the Big House,"

Michael soundly slammed the trunk of the Rolls-Royce before gently taking the luggage out of his wife's delicate fingers. Wrapping an arm around her husband's slim waist, Althea stared at the mansion before them, a sigh of indifference passing her lips.

She'd hardly been invited into the home before she and Michael wed and now she'd be living there, maybe even starting a family in a place that was hardly home.

"Don't say that, Michael," she chided. "Your family has a lovely home,"

"It ain't the home, baby, it's the folks in it,"

Althea giggled as she looked at her husband. She expected that gorgeous smile of his to be on display but his handsome face held a serious expression.

"C'mon, honey, we've had such a great honeymoon. I'm not ready to come down from cloud nine yet,"

Michael kinked an eyebrow, biting back a mischievous grin.

"Me neither,"

The couple shared a quick kiss before Michael rang the doorbell causing Althea's stomach to churn with nervousness. Hardly anyone had interacted with her when she was just an intern at Jacksounds.

Now she was a Jackson herself.

"Michael! You're back!"

A stout middle-aged woman tossed open the mahogany doors and wrapped her arms around Michael's neck.

"I'm glad to see you, Opal," he replied politely, kissing her cheeks.

Opal stepped back, inspecting his figure.

"Look at you! That's the glow of a man in love. The newlywed sex is gonna wither you away to nothing but I'll fatten you up,"

Althea bit back a giggle as the woman turned to her.

"And you must be Althea," Opal exclaimed. "You're just as pretty as he described,"

"Thank you," she smiled.

Michael set the luggage down before nudging his wife forward.

"This is Opal, our housekeeper," he exclaimed. "She's one of the sweetest ladies I know. Apart from Mother of course,"

At the mention of her new mother-in-law Althea only felt more anxious.

"I've known this one since he was still wetting the bed. Take care of him, he's a keeper," the maid winked.

Althea grinned, watching her husband's ears grow red at Opal's over sharing.

"I most certainly will," she replied.

Michael could smell the steak and onions wafting from the kitchen and gathered up their bags.

"Well, looks like we're just in time for dinner. Whatdaya say we go change, baby?"

Although she felt exhausted from the trip home and was far too nervous to eat, Althea knew she couldn't say no.

She grabbed hold of her husband's arm flashing a smile at Opal.

"It was lovely to meet you, Opal,"

"You too, sweetie,"

As they stepped over the threshold, a drafty air consumed them and the house seemed eerily quiet. All Althea could hear was the sounds of her heels clicking against the marble staircase. She'd hardly noticed when Michael nudged open the door to what was now their bedroom.

"I should have carried you over the threshold," Michael chuckled but his wife ignored him, her eyes glancing around the room.

It was approximately the size of her old studio apartment and smelled of lemon and freshly washed linen. Golden drapes kept out the orange, afternoon sun and silky white sheets adorned the king sized bed. There was a sitting area, a vanity and a bathroom and more room than she'd ever know what to do with.