Good, Bad, & Worse

"Stop staring at me,"

Althea giggled as she dipped a chunk of lobster meat into the little saucer of salted butter that sat between them, feeling self-conscious under the amorous gaze of her husband. The ocean's breeze felt cool against her skin and the ocean looked mystical under the evening moon, the crash of its waves drowned out by the band that was playing.

Michael grinned as he leaned back in his seat, keeping an intense gaze on his wife.

"I can't help it," he sighed. "You're so beautiful I could stare at you for hours. And you've got butter on your chin,"

Althea scoffed and snatched up a napkin to wipe the oily substance off her chin but was stopped short by her husband.

"Here, let me, baby,"

Michael cradled the white cloth in his hand as leaned across the table, gently dabbing the napkin against her sweet mouth. His wife stared at him adoringly, feeling butterflies flutter in her stomach at the intimate gesture.

Althea wished the night could be never-ending.

It was Michael and Althea's last full night in Martha's Vineyard and she was not looking forward at all to going back to Encino. The getaway had been just what she needed to relax and reenergize. They'd done so many fun things together - horseback riding, sailing, sea shell collecting, and long morning walks on the beach where they talked about any and everything.

Althea hadn't thought about the Jacksons one time but she knew she'd have to step back into reality once they landed back on California soil.

"You're so sweet, honey," She leaned in to kiss him. "Are you sure we have to go back tomorrow?"

Her husband poked at a lobster tail with his fork.

"If we want to use the weekend to recover from the jet lag, we better,"

Althea sighed.

"Let's get a house here and settle down on the beach. I don't ever wanna leave, Michael. It's so beautiful here. I don't think I've had this much fun since our honeymoon,"

Michael chuckled, his eyebrows raising.

" So I've been boring you for the past four months, huh?"

She giggled, reaching for his hand.

"No, honey," Althea replied. "You know what I mean. I'm so glad you brought me here. I really need this vacation,"

He pressed a soft kiss to her hand and the band began to play a gentle, jazzy rendition of Endless Love.

"That's our song, baby,"

The couple rose from their table and Michael grabbed his wife's hand, leading her out to the dance floor. As she wrapped her arms around his neck, Althea's mind drifted back to the sweet memory of their wedding day when they'd shared their first dance as husband and wife.

Fairy lights that hung from the patio ceiling twinkled above them like stars picked fresh from the milky way but nothing seemed to shine brighter than Althea's eyes as Michael hummed the melody in her ear.

At that moment, he vowed he'd never do anything to make them lose their sparkle.

"I'll be that fool for you, I'm sure. You know I don't mind," Althea sang softly for only the two to hear.

Michael grinned, settling his hands on her hips as they swayed to the music. The couples around them seemed to disappear and all they could focus on was each other. If the whole room had been watching, not a single one would doubt they were in love.