The Cocktail Party Effect

Althea was sure her hands would grow raw from all the washing and scrubbing she'd done since she and Michael returned home.

The investigation team had cleaned up rather nicely. The bloodstains had been lifted from the carpet and not a trace of Opal's attack lingered in the home but somehow, she felt the need to scrub every surface she could get her hands on. Thanks to Jermaine's schemes, their first home had been violated and Althea was determined to restore the peace and order that she and Michael envisioned.

The carpets, drapes, and rugs had been vacuumed, the linen washed, the walls scrubbed and a canopy set over the bed for privacy. Every day it seemed as if Althea had a new project to fixate on. While human resources investigated their claims, Michael channeled his nervous energy into setting up a home studio while he worked at home.

He'd expected them to fall into their routine and figured his wife would appreciate his presence at home but Althea seemed more preoccupied with domestic activities than spending time together.

"Don't step in the kitchen yet, honey, I'm still scrubbing the floors,"

Michael's eyes fixated on his wife's perfectly sculpted denim-clad derriere as she crouched over the tiles, not even bothering to look up at him. As much as he appreciated the view, it was hard to enjoy the position when Althea had a scrub brush in hand.

Michael frowned, her loafers making contact with the edge of a tile.

"I thought you did that Sunday, Thea." He replied.

She paused briefly to brush her bangs away from her damp forehead before resuming her rigorous scrubbing.

"That was Sunday, Mike," Althea panted "Today's Wednesday. The floors could use a mid-week cleaning,"

His wife continued to scrub and the sound of the bristles making contact with the tiles was enough to make Michael's skin crawl. Feeling rebellious, he stepped into the kitchen, leaving a trail of footprints all the way to the island.

"Miiichael! Look what you did! Now I have to start all over again,"

Althea tossed her brush down with a huff while her husband grabbed a shiny Granny Smith from the island's glass bowl. Michael chuckled as juggled the apple in each hand.

"Take a rest, Thea. You've been cleaning this house like a mad woman since we got exiled from Hayvenhurst. I'd much rather have you on your hands and knees in the bedroom than in the kitchen,"

His wife let out a heavy sigh as she rose from the kitchen floor, rubbing her sore and damp knees briefly before folding her arms across her chest.

"You're right, honey," Althea spoke softly as she approached her husband. "I just wanna make this house feel like home again. Some stranger was in here, your brother rigged the house. I just want a clean start,"

Michael sighed sympathetically and pulled his wife into his warm embrace.

"I know, baby," He whispered, pressing a soft kiss to her lips.

Althea wrapped her arms around her husband's neck and closed her eyes as he squeezed her tighter.

"I remember when we first looked at this house. It was everything I ever dreamed of. Now it just feels spoiled,"

She felt her eyes brimming with tears and she quickly blinked them away. As much as Althea wanted to be free from Hayvenhurst, she didn't consider the toll returning home would have on her emotions.

"Oh, would you listen to me," Althea scoffed while pulling away. "I sound so ungrateful. I'm sorry, Mike,"

"You don't have to apologize, Thea. I know my family has put you through a lot and you're entitled to be upset. You know what would really liven up this place? A party! We never had a housewarming party. Why don't you call up some people and invite them over for dinner or somethin',"