Turning Tables

"Jacksounds Records. Please hold,"

"All media inquiries must be directed to our public relations department,"

"No, Mr. Jackson is not available for comment at this time,"

The phones had been ringing since the custodians unlocked the doors at the crack of dawn. News of the latest, salacious Jackson family scandal had spread through a pair of loose lips at the office that drifted to the mouths of industry insiders at cocktail parties and eventually landed on the desk of overeager LA gossip columnists hungry for the latest scoop and looking for their big break.

This scandal was new and unique to Jacksounds. The company had yet to see such chaos in its twenty-three years of operation and it didn't help that the founder's youngest son was dead in the middle of it all.

Althea's head was already spinning when she entered the office clutching Michael's arm as if her life depended on it. She felt embarrassed and icky knowing everyone in the office had probably seen every inch of her body, but Althea knew her embarrassment could not measure up to Michael's.

She had the privilege of popping in and out of Jacksounds whenever she pleased. Her husband had to be there every day.

"Baby, I told you you could've stayed home," Michael spoke softly as they maneuvered past the secretaries' desks. "You can take the car while I'm in this meeting. I don't plan on staying all day, anyway,"

After the unfortunate release of their intimate photographs, Joseph had called for an immediate human resource meeting. The Jackson patriarch deeply feared the attention might negatively impact their business relations and wanted to straighten out the issue before it got out of hand.

Michael thought it was stupid and unfair to have to explain himself when he was not responsible for the release of these incriminating photos, but he knew it was just protocol.

Althea flashed a short smile at Pamela who was busy chatting on the phone as they passed her desk before leaning into her husband.

"I'm in those pictures too, Mike. As far as I'm concerned this is just as much my problem as yours. I knew about those pictures, and I kept them from you,"

A deep frown settled on his wife's pretty face and Michael sighed. She'd finally revealed the truth, but the guilt still lay heavily on Althea's conscience.

"Sweetheart," he sighed as they stopped in front of the conference room. "This isn't your fault. You were threatened. The only person who should feel sorry right now is Jermaine,"

Althea glanced down at her pumps in shame.

"I know," She replied. "I just should have told you sooner,"

Michael gently lifted his wife's chin and glanced deep into her eyes.

"Don't worry about it, Thea. We're gonna sort this out together,"

A small smile tugged at the corner of her lips before she pressed a soft kiss to his mouth, his breath smelling faintly of Big Red cinnamon gum.

"Michael, ready to straighten this thing out?" Joseph's gruff voice spoke, causing the couple to pull apart.

"Sure, Joseph," The son replied softly.

The Jacksounds CEO quickly gave his daughter-in-law a once over.

"Glad you could join us, Althea,"

She smiled politely as Joseph gave his son a heavy and hearty pat on the back before entering the conference room.

"Ouch," Michael mumbled.

Althea giggled as she wiped a bit of her burgundy lipstick off her husband's chin with her thumb.