Someday

"Yes, I am just getting out of the bath. I promise I'll be there in fifteen. I can't wait to see you too. Bye, now,"

LaToya hung up the phone giggling like a schoolgirl as she grabbed the bottle of Giorgio perfume from her vanity, spritzing a generous amount on her decolletage, shoulders, and behind her ears.

She'd gone on many dates with many different men over the past year but the one man she'd really grown attached to was an advertisement executive named Hugh. He was charming and intelligent- a great raconteur, sensitive and sweet.

LaToya had been in and out of the dating scene since a teen, never taking any real thought into settling down.

She defiantly rejected Katherine's expectations of finding a wealthy husband and promised herself she'd never sacrifice her identity for a man and children. But when she was with Hugh, the thought of white picket fences was so appealing.

She happily strolled over to her closet and picked out the sparkling purple gown she'd recently brought. It fit like a glove when she slipped it on, and LaToya indulged in her reflection in the full-length mirror.

She knew Hugh would love it.

Catching a glance at the clock, LaToya realized the fifteen minutes she'd promised Hugh had passed. With a swipe of lipstick, she snatched up her clutch and fur coat buzzing with excited energy to get across town to their favorite restaurant.

She quickly closed the door behind her, pacing to get to her car keys. The living room was dark now that the sun had set but a lamp suddenly illuminated the space, bringing a figure into view.

"Why don't you ever invite me over for tea, sister?"

LaToya's heart dropped at the sight of Jermaine sitting in one of her velvet chairs, legs crossed and elbows sunken in the arms.

Her body grew rigid in shock, and she couldn't even begin to imagine how her sinister brother had found her residence or how he'd gotten inside. LaToya had managed to avoid him all these years and now when he was at his worst mentally, he'd chosen to strong-arm his way into her life.

"How'd you get in here?!"

Jermaine smirked as he slowly stood to his feet, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"I have my ways," he replied arrogantly. "I've always had my ways- just like you have yours,"

LaToya's heart felt like it might leap from her chest as he stepped forward. With each step, she took one back.

"I don't know what you're talking about," She feigned ignorance. "You always did have a talent for making up stories with that wild imagination of yours. Like when you convinced yourself that Dee-Dee could ever love a sicko like you,"

His eyes grew dark with sudden rage. The mention of Dee-Dee was triggering.

"Don't you dare insult my intelligence, you little whore!" He roared.

Her eyes darted across the room, searching for something to defend herself. The three-thousand-dollar crystal sculpture she'd gotten at a benefit auction seemed sufficient and she grabbed it, holding it in front of her like a knife.

"You stay back! Stay away from me!"

"You were always such a spoiled little brat! Mother and Joseph gave you whatever you wanted because you were the only girl. You run your mouth to everyone. It's time somebody taught you how to shut up,"

He charged at her, and LaToya stumbled back before swinging the sculpture over his head. Austrian crystal crumbled over his shoulders as he howled in pain. She turned on her heel, hoping to leave the house once and for all but he was quicker snatching her petite figure up.