III. Studying

"Y/n, your freezing!" Rose rushed to my shivering figure on the bench.

"I'm fine Rose." I get up frantically, seeing the master of arms taking Jack by the wrists and Cal yelling in his face pretending that he cared.

"How could you even try to touch my sister-in-law!"

"Cal, stop! He saved me!" I pushed the two away from each other after Cal began to get physical.

"H-he saved you?'

"He did. Quite stupid really. I was leaning over to look at the... um... the... propellers! Yes, and I slipped. Before I fell into the water he grabbed my hand and saved me."

"The propellers?"

"Mhm."

"Like I always say, 'Women and machinery never mix'." I rolled my eyes at the man's sarcastic comment and turned my attention to Jack.

"Was that the way of it?" I look at Jack pleadingly, for I couldn't let Cal of all people know the real reason. 

"Yeah. Yeah, that was pretty much it."

"Well, that means the boy's a hero then. Good for you, sir!" 

"Let's go, Y/n. You're freezing." Rose commented and took me by the shoulders and walked me back inside. 

"Before I go, Jack." I turned to him with a smile. "Would you kindly join us for dinner tomorrow?"

"I wouldn't miss it." He smiled back and took another cigarette out of his pocket and lit it.

"See you then, Dawson."

⚓️⚓️⚓️

I walk my way to the 3rd class section to find Jack but instead find Fabrizio.

"Oh, Fabrizio, have you seen Jack anywhere?"

"He is just in that room right there."

"Thank you!" I politely exclaim over my shoulder.

I lightly knock on his door twice and wait for an answer. 

"Fabrizio, they are in the- oh, hello."

"Jack I would like to speak with you."

⚓️⚓️⚓️

"Well, I've been on my own since I was fifteen since my folks died. I had no brothers or sisters or close skin in that part of the country, so, I lit on out of there and haven't been back ever since. You could just call me a tumbleweed blowing in the wind!" I chuckle at his attempt to make a depressing topic into a lighter mood, then soon fall back into an awkward silence. "Well, y/n, we have walked about a mile around this boat deck, chewed about how great the weather has been and how I grew up but I highly dought that's the reason you came to talk to me, is it?" I sigh, for he was right.

"Well, Jack, I would like to thank you for what you did yesterday. You went out of your way to save someone you don't even know. I truly appreciate you and your kindness." 

"Thank you for that. I appreciate it, but I guess what I want to hear is what made you think you had no way out other than jumping off the back of a ship?" I eternally grunt, knowing he is going to think my reason is stupid.

"You wouldn't understand if you aren't a part of my family."

"I think I would understand more than anyone else on this ship, don't ya think?"

I gaze into his perfect diamond eyes as the wind blows his hair slightly in front of them. The depth of his eyes pulled me to answer what he was longing to hear.