Chapter Twenty - [The Lake.]

Sometime later, I woke up still in his arms.

There was a random TV show playing, and that was the only light in the otherwise dark room. There was a blanket stretched across our laps, and Emmett was asleep next to me. I found my neck sore from sleeping on his shoulder for so long, but the warmth of his body heat and his smell made it worth it.

“That was a nice little nap.”

Emmett spoke the words groggily when he woke up just moments after me. He stretched a little, letting out a yawn as he looked around the dark room. His eyes landed on mine and he reached over to tuck a stray hair behind my ear.

“You should go up to bed, Charlotte. You look tired. I’ll sleep here on the couch.”

The words came out of my mouth before I could really stop them, a bold request that I wasn’t sure he would relent to or not.

“You don’t have to sleep on the couch,” I said quietly. Emmett cocked his head to the side and frowned at me.

“Well you’re not sleeping on the couch,” He responded. I couldn’t help but giggle when he didn’t realize what I meant. But after a moment, his eyes widened in realization. 

“Oh. Well I don’t mind sharing if you don’t.”

I felt a blush crawl onto my face.

“I don’t mind sharing either,” I said quietly.

Emmett stood up, throwing a theme over the back of the couch. He held his hand out to help me to my feet, and I slid my hand into his own. My heart raced as I stood up. We were going to sleep together. Sure, I’d slept in his bed before but I’d been alone. Now he’d be in the same bed.

He put his hand on the small of my back as he guided me up the stairs. My adrenaline seemed to shoot through the roof. Why was I never able to curb my nerves around him? He opened the door of the bedroom before he said something about brushing his teeth. I’d done that when I changed into my pajamas, so I crawled onto the side of the bed that was furthest from the door.

I found myself much more tired than I’d realized and did my best not to drift off to sleep before he returned.

In the recent weeks, I’d been unable to sleep on my stomach for obvious reasons. Sleeping on my back was growing increasingly more uncomfortable, so I’d been sleeping on my side. I was on my left side, facing Emmett when he came back into the room. He turned off the lights and closed the door before climbing into bed himself.

“I’m glad you’re here,” He said.

“I’m glad I’m here, too.”

It was quiet for a moment, a comfortable silence as we faced each other in bed.

“Come here."

His words were quiet but confident. I scooted closer, and he slid his arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him. I revealed in his touch, savoring the his smell and the roughness of his hands against my skin. He kissed my forehead.

“Can I show you something?” I asked.

“What do you want to show me?”

“Let me see your hand.”

I took his hand in my own with out waiting for a response, and slid it down to my stomach. I found the spot where I thought that the baby’s feet was and waited. I thought that the baby might think something was going on, because there was a lot of activity. It didn’t take long before it happened…There was a heavy kick right on the spot where Emmett’s hand was.