Chapter-37

"And I was tryin' to be nice
But nothing's getting through, so let me spell it out
A-B-C-D-E, Fuck you
And your mom and your sister and your job
And your broke-ass car and that shit you call art"

-Abcdefu, Gayle
________________________________________________________________________________

Dean

Dean had had enough. He was done with this bullshit. In an instant, he was out of his seat, his hands braced against the table as he took a deep breath to keep from yelling.

Had their parents completely lost it?

"You're not serious, are you?" Christian asked, getting up as well. Dean knew that behind his cool façade, Chris was fuming as well.

"It's a good plan. Think of how beneficial it would be," Mr. West said, calm despite the two angry teenagers in front of him. Even his daughters shot him irritated looks at that, Brian placing a hand on Riley's shoulder, possibly to keep her from getting up and yelling too. She sure looked like she would love to.

"So, what you're saying is," Dean clarified through clenched teeth, "that you want Chris and I to fake relationships with your daughters for publicity? Do you even see how messed up this is?"

Out of the corner of his eye, he could see the slightly alarmed look on his father's face, and Dean took a deep breath. His mother's face remained impassive, and that was worse, because he had always hated not being able to tell what was going through her head.

"Why is it messed up? Both Riley and Jessie are beautiful young women, and you two are handsome young men. Relationships often bloom in business associates' families."

"And for all you know, this might turn into something real," Brian added, his eyes fixed on Dean.

Son of a bitch, Dean thought.

"Brian," Jessamine muttered, "please, shut up."

"Think about it, Jessie," Mrs. West consoled. "You might see this as a bad idea, but we've been through your age. Even if you don't see it yet, you kids might develop atleast a good friendship, if not a real relationship."

"And no one will know it's a publicity stunt?" Riley said, her jaw tightening as her mother rolled her eyes.

"Do you really believe we didn't already go over that?" She raised an eyebrow. "It wouldn't be too uncommon for such things to be kept private until the two families are willing to tie the knot."

Dean wasn't sure if the woman was too blind to see how dumb this idea was, or if she was simply stupid. Since she was Brian's mother, he suspected it was the latter.

He ran a hand through his hair, letting out a frustrated breath.

"So it won't be suspicious if Chris and I are suddenly involved with Jessamine and Riley, and the two of them are engaged? The media might be idiots, Mrs. West, but the public isn't blind. Anyone would see through this," Dean retorted. His mother shot him a warning glance, and Dean shut his mouth, lest his temper get the better of him.

"Well," Mr. West said, ignoring the venom in his voice, "like we said, something real might sprout out of this. For all we know, our families might really be joining together soon, if you kids give it a chance!"

This dude is in way over his head, Dean thought.

"Actually, and I say this with all due respect, you're wrong," Christian said.

Dean noticed his father stifle a smile at Chris's comment. Leave it to Chris to throw an insult in a polite voice.

"Excuse me?" Mrs. West said indignantly.