Chapter 4

Margo awoke to a light so bright her eyes burned. She was sitting in a chair, and her wrists were noticeably strapped to the armrests.

"Miss Loveridge," a voice said, echoing in Margo's ears, "how wonderful for you to join me."

Margo groaned and focused on the woman in front of her. She was tall and her features were sharp and angled, and her stare was intensely cold. Margo tried to talk, but her throbbing headache overpowered her voice.

"I'm Jael Combs," the woman said.

"Why . . ." Margo squeezed her eyes shut—her head felt like it was going to explode.

"You're suffering the after effects of a mindblocker. Your little friend was feeling the same way."

Margo forced her eyes open and asked, "Where's Kiori?"

"A room just like the one we're in," Jael replied. "You took longer to wake up than her, but I'm not surprised. Miss Nakamura is wild and uncontrollable. Much different than you, Margo. I've always favored girls like you—girls who are obedient and follow the rules."

Margo blinked. Hadn't she just broken a law?

"That's why I'm so disappointed in you. I thought you'd be good and follow the herd, but here we are. Do you know it's a crime to enter Pure City?" The woman waited until Margo met her eyes. "I'm sure you do. So tell me why you did it."

"I . . . I don't know. I followed Kiori to the gates. We weren't thinking right . . . I don't really have an excuse," Margo admitted.

Jael nodded. "I expected that answer."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing of your concern. I think it'd be best if we get this over with."

A wave of icy panic washed over Margo. "What?"

"Your punishments," Jael clarified. "I understand this behavior from Miss Nakamura, but from you? Let me paint a picture for you. The Implanted that witnessed your act couldn't process what was happening, which promptly sent their brains into a shut down."

"What?"

"You heard me. There were twenty-two Implanted that saw you, and they're now in the hospital with symptoms much like shock. Seeing the commotion disrupted their sense of security. One part of their brain told them they were fine, while the other part told them to be terrified." She paused. "Our scientists are going to erase their memories so they don't have to live with the trauma. Their minds can't handle it." Jael slid a slender finger across her desk, for once showing a sign of worry.

"Are they going to be okay?" Margo asked.

"They should be alright," Jael said. Her voice wasn't as steady as Margo would've liked. "Do you see how a simple crime can upset the balance of our community?"

"Yeah. And I'm sorry. I'm sure Kiori is too."

Jael barked a laugh. "I beg to differ. Miss Nakamura refused to apologize and explain her actions."

Margo paled. "What's her punishment?"

"Let's get to yours first." She paused. "The comity has decided to postpone your Implant."

Margo jumped up so forcefully that her wrists almost tore through her bonds. "What?!"

The world spun around her as Jael explained why she was getting this punishment—why everyone was disappointed in her. But Margo barely heard her. Her Implant was being postponed! She wouldn't join Avrilyn and her other friends in Pure City. She wouldn't see her parents. She'd look like a fool.